UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for asylum seekers, refugees, internally displaced, returnees and stateless people. The operation in Mozambique has its main office in Maputo, field office (FO) in Nampula, and sub-office (SO) in Pemba. The candidate will be based in Pemba SO. The working language in the UNHCR offices in Mozambique is English.
The role of this position is to provide administrative and secretarial support services to the Head of Sub-Office, in order to ensure the smooth running of the Office and its flow and management of administrative and routinely information. This would involve direct contact with other staff members and contacts with the teams of high-ranking officials, both within and outside UNHCR. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, the incumbent will work independently on routine tasks, while will follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues.
This position reports to the Head of Sub-Office.
Please also note that engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the UNHCR Office thus it’s better able to meet its objectives.
- Arrange appointments and maintains supervisor’s calendar. Receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answers queries with discretion.
- Arrange meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials, and take minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Prepare informal translations and may act as interpreter.
- Draft correspondence, documents, and reports, some of which are highly confidential.
- Receive, screen, log, and route correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain follow-up system.
- Draft official correspondence, documents and reports on routine matters and/or for clearance by the supervisor and ensure follow-up. Maintain filing system for electronic and hard copy documents.
- Maybe required to assist in Human Resources tasks (attendance record, travel arrangements, preparation of travel authorization, /claims, etc.) for staff within the unit.
- Assist in the preparation of visit programmes, briefings on issues covered by the Unit, collection of documentation for briefing kits, talking points and other material for missions, meetings, and visits.
- Assist conducting procurement processes for the Executive and External Relation units in Cabo Delgado.
- Distribute visibility items to staff and keep an inventory of items updated.
- Update and maintain contact lists for the office.
- Perform other related duties as required.**
Education & Professional Work Experience**
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
Education: Certificates and/or Licenses:
or another related field.
Relevant Job Experience:
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures;
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Knowledge of English and Portuguese are both essential for the position.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing
External candidates: External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at
How to apply
▪ Applicants are invited to apply online and complete the mandatory motivation letter. For help with logging in to the MSRP External Portal, or with online applications, please contact the HR Unit well before the deadline to allow sufficient time for any technical problem to be resolved. External vacancies are posted on the external UNHCR website – Careers – Career opportunities – Other Opportunities – Vacancies – sort by Location or search by Job Opening number.
▪ Not signed, incomplete and late applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
▪ The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted during the application. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
▪ UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants to apply. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms gender, disability, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
▪ UNHCR has a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). SEA is unacceptable behavior and prohibited conduct for UNHCR personnel. It constitutes acts of serious misconduct and is therefore grounds for disciplinary measures, including dismissal. Any concerns or suspicions about a possible case of SEA should be reported immediately to the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the online complain form or by confidential fax: +41 22 739 73 80.
▪ For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please send an email to the below email address titled “**Online VA Query-your name and surname**”. Human Resources Maputo email@example.com.
- Job City Pemba