Position: External Advert-Senior Country WASH Coordinator
- Contributes to the revision/development of Oxfam’s response strategy and Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS) development processes
- Under the strategic guidance of Head of Programme, undertake overall coordination of the WASH component of humanitarian Response and Resilience Programs in line with country and response strategy;
- Provide professional and technical leadership to the WASH team (including partners) including elements of Public Health Engineering and Public Health Promotion for programme planning and implementation of humanitarian and development wash activities.
- Ensure that WASH project activities are planned and implemented on time in line with contractual obligations and accountable approaches with communities;
- Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hardware is undertaken according to technical standards (SPHERE, Oxfam WASH Minimum standards);
- Work closely with Program Area WASH Coordinators and Oxfam’s partners with in Oxfam Operational location to facilitate and coordinate effective delivery of WASH component of Humanitarian response and Resilience Programs/Projects; This will include significant travel to field locations to provide support and undertake quality M&E visits;
- Advise on the need for assessments and M+E. Support staff in preparation and consideration of assessment and evaluation work.
- Comment and advise on assessment reports from the field in order to appraise emergency situations and make new recommendations for Oxfam which are consistent with Oxfam policy
- Collaborates with WASH, EFSVL, Gender, Education, sectors, departments, teams, programmes and partners
- Represent Oxfam in different WASH related coordination platforms at national level (e.g. WASH cluster) and actively contribute and influence; ensure timely delivery of external reporting requirement at national level (e.g. 4W);
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender and protection issues. In particular to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work;
- Undertake regular capacity need assessment of WASH team including partners, conduct annual capacity assessment and provide/arrange capacity building package through training and support at field level;
- Collaboration and support MEAL team to ensure improved programme quality and accountability; review periodically humanitarian reports.
- Collaboration and support logistics team at country office for the timely procurement of WASH supplies and services;
- Contribute in donor reports and funding proposals and ensure donor reports are in line with agreed donor commitment and with good/acceptable quality
- Collaborate with funding and finance team and ensure all WASH related donor funding are utilized within the project period and all expense are charge in the right project lines.
- Line manage staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, strategic guidance and management support;
- Support and Work with HR during WASH staff recruitment process
- Provide support and coordinate the activities of field-based WASH staff.
- Provide Quality technical support to programme design and implementation, carrying out technical visits, supporting proposal and in the report writing processes.
- Represent Oxfam Internally and externally Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the line manager.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- At least 8 years of solid practical experience as a WASH specialist/TL and Minimum of 5 years as a country WASH Coordinator / Manager in humanitarian / development programme.
- Relevant qualification (B.SC/M.SC, preferably post-graduation) in public health engineering or a related discipline (civil / hydraulic / environment engineering), with an excellent technical understanding and demonstrated experience on WASH;
- Minimum of 3 Years Oversee Experience, especially in the East/Horn of Africa Context
- Excellent technical skills and practical experience of preparing technical drawing, designs, BoQs and estimates of water and sanitation infrastructure.
- Demonstrated/Proven experience of coordinating / managing Humanitarian WASH programme with large budget and teams (multiple locations) preferably in Horn of Africa and in South Sudan.
- Excellent understanding and demonstrated experience of implementing integrated PHE and PHP strategies and interventions.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and protection into emergency response programmes and longer-term strategies.
- Demonstrated experience of working in close coordination with UN clusters, government authorities and implementing I/.NGO partners;
- A proven record of mentoring and capacity building of teams and partners in complex contexts.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills with Excellent communication
- Good Analytical skills and strategic thinking including experience developing written analysis and strategies for WASH
- Experience to remote coordination/advise and Program/Project Monitoring
- Experience in participatory research and community-based programming
- Skills and experience of using AUTO-CAD, WATERCAD-GEMS and other relevant software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including high-level interpersonal, influencing, negotiation and representational capabilities.
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
- Able to live and work in remote, insecure and logistically challenging operations and in a multi-cultural environment, with a high level of self-reliance, adaptability and initiative
- Knowledge of and experience in the South Sudan context
The post holder will be expected to undertake regular travel in the country and region
How to apply
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Deadline for submission of applications is 14 June 2023. Interested Applicants should send soft copies of their CVs and Cover letters to Hrsouthsudan@oxfam.org.uk
Oxfam is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.
This post is subject to a range of vetting checks.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Qualitative Data Analysis Consultant at Social Impact
- International Consultancy – Project officer (Shelter/NFI/Community Engagement) at International Organization for Migration
- Information Management Officer at International Organization for Migration
- Programme Manager (Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM)) at International Organization for Migration
- Country director (fluency in English and Portuguese) at MENTOR Initiative