The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit pan African organisation headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, whose vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science. Our tripartite mandate is recognising excellence through the AAS’ highly prestigious fellowship and award schemes, providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping Africa’s Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies and implementing key STI programmes addressing Africa’s developmental challenges. The current strategy for the AAS focuses on five strategic areas: Environment and climate change, health and wellbeing, natural sciences, policy and governance and social sciences and humanities. The AAS’s mission is to leverage resources through excellence and thought leadership for sustainable development.
The Officer- Fellows and Affiliates shall provide operational support to the AAS Excellence unit including AAS Fellows, Affiliates, Lindau Meetings, and Obasanjo Prize. He/she will ensure that the recruitment process of Fellows, Affiliates and other beneficiaries under this Unit is undertaken in an efficient, transparent and credible manner so as to select the most deserving scientists; recognise and celebrate their achievements and give them opportunities to benefit from capacity building programmes that will enable them to promote development in Africa in line with the Excellence mandate of AAS.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruitment of AAS Fellows and AAS Affiliates
- Facilitate and manage the recruitment processes for AAS Fellowships and of AAS Affiliates to ensure that each one is carried out in line with the required guidelines and procedures and within their respective annual timelines
- Continually propose and implement changes to improve the Fellowship nomination and Affiliates application processes. Such changes shall include, but not limited to, online application processes and governance procedures
- Facilitate and manage review processes for AAS Fellows and Affiliates recruitment including setting up of review committees and providing administrative and technical support to the review committees
- Provide status reports on the recruitment of AAS Fellows and Affiliates to line Manager for information, guidance, remedial action and for presentation to the AAS Governance and Nominations sub-Committee (GNC) and Governing Council (GC) of AAS
- Post-nomination and post-selection of AAS Fellows and Affiliates respectively, manage all administrative duties relating to their appointment letters, certificates, induction, membership fees, and engagement with AAS.
- Work with other Programme and Grant Officers to continually improve the recruitment and application management processes in line with the AAS vision.
- Engagement with AAS Fellows and Affiliates
- Act as the point of contact for Fellows and Affiliates as well as prospective members, handling enquiries and providing assistance in a timely manner ensuring an excellent membership experience
- Connect Fellows and Affiliates who would like to collaborate amongst themselves, with AAS Programmes, partners and other stakeholders.
- Act as the point of contact for information on suitable experts from the Fellows’ and Affiliates’ databases for various AAS programmes, departments, partners, and other stakeholders
- In liaison with the Finance Department, ensure timely and accurate requisition, recording and reporting of Fellows’ membership and subscription fees.
- Support Fellows and Affiliates participation in various activities organized by AAS and partners
- Provide information to Fellows and Affiliates on the various scientific Committees and Working Groups respectively and facilitate their membership to each.
- Offer administrative support to Chairs of Fellows’ Committees as need arises.
- Support Vice-Presidents and Regional Offices in their regional engagement activities.
- Database and Information Management
- Develop and maintain databases of AAS Fellows and Affiliates ensuring that they are continually updated, comprehensive and easily accessible. Such will include their contact information, biographies, engagement in Review committees, scientific committees, AAS representation, etc.
- Produce detailed reports on statistics of members for AAS programmes/departments, partners and other stakeholders as needed
- Liaise with Communications and the IT departments to ensure that Fellows and Affiliates information on the website, portals and mailing lists is accurate and ensure regular communication of significant milestones of Fellows and Affiliates such as their appointments, awards, promotions, etc. through the AAS website, newsletter, annual reports.
- Track participation, responsiveness and various feedback from Fellows and Affiliates and, based on the observed trends, advise on ways of improving their engagement.
- Provide administrative support to the Fellows and Affiliates Portal
- Collate information on Fellows and Affiliates from external sources to enrich their biographies
- Maintain and share a calendar of activities of AAS Fellows and Affiliates.
- Other AAS Excellence Responsibilities
- The AAS-Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings Travel Grants
- Facilitate and manage the nomination processes of candidates for the annual AAS-Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings Travel Grants
- In collaboration with the Procurement and Events offices, organise the travel of AAS nominees to the Lindau Nobel Laureate meetings
- The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize
- Facilitate and manage the nomination processes of candidates for the AAS-Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific Discovery and Technological Innovation
- The AAS Mentorship Scheme
- Provide technical support to the AAS Mentorship Scheme
Person Specifications Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or Business Administration from a recognized institution.
- A Master’s degree is desired
A professional qualification in research related area or programme management is desired
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in programme or grants management including preparing budgets
- Proven working experience in undertaking research for background material and information and in generating and analyzing reports.
- Experience in managing and administration of research/ researchers.
- Experience in working in an academy or related institution
Skills and Attributes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Outlook, Database
- Possess well-developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills across age groups, organizational levels, and partners
- Able to perform work independently with minimal supervision, but also work in a team
- Possess strong attention to detail and maintaining a timely and efficient workflow
- Have strong analytical skills and excellent organizational skills
- Able to prioritize, work under pressure, and multi-task
- Have unquestionable integrity, confidentiality and respect.
- High level university teaching experience and/or service in developing countries.
- Working experience within intergovernmental or international organizations and within government in the natural of applied science sector in different regions of the world.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Capacity to build, develop and maintain partnerships and coordinate with a range of partners.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of the African Union, international organizations and /or the UN system.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) and other official African Union languages (French, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish) written and/or spoken.
Details as per https://aasciences.africa/Vacancies#2
How to apply
This is a fixed term engagement. The successful candidate will be engaged full time (40 hours/ week) for a period of 3 years working at the AAS offices in Nairobi, Kenya.
All applicants must submit a filled application form from the AAS website
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application and include: one-page cover letter, curriculum vitae/ resume.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com with the subject Fellows & Affiliates Officerby 7 June 2023 17:00HRS EAT. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Finance and Administration Specialist at International Potato Center
- Driver at International Potato Center
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at International Potato Center
- Administrative Assistant III at International Potato Center
- Regional Security Director at World Vision