Position: FIELD COORDINATOR
Terre des hommes Foundation is an independent, neutral, and impartial Swiss organization founded in 1960, dedicated to bringing about significant and lasting change in the lives of children and young people, especially those most at risk. Tdh ensures their well-being and the effective implementation of their rights as defined in the Convention on the Child’s Rights and other human rights instruments. To make a difference, Tdh focuses our efforts on maternal and child health, children and young people in migration situations, and access to justice. Tdh promotes the active participation of children and young people to empower them. We advocate for their rights and support them in expressing their needs and interests. Tdh works in fragile contexts and conflict zones, as well as in more stable environments.
Tdh is present in Kenya since 2011. Currently Tdh is providing protection and health/nutrition services for children and families affected by migration, drought and poverty in Korogocho informal settlement in Nairobi, in Garissa County, in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps, Kalobeyei settlement and host communities In Garissa County, Tdh supports the Ministry of Health in to contribute to reduction in morbidity and mortality by early detection, referral and provision of appropriate treatment/management to severe malnourished children (6-59 months), pregnant and lactating women (PLW). In addition, a WASH component will be integrated in the activities.
The intervention in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps, Kalobeyei settlement and host communities is focused on prevention and response to child protection needs while strengthening protection community-based mechanisms in the refugee operation and its host communities.
In Korogocho informal settlements, Tdh implements early child development activities and child protection activities with a strong community-based approach aiming at decreasing violence against children and strengthening child protection mechanisms.
The Field Coordinator reports to the Country Representative and s/he is in charge of representing Tdh in Dadaab area. S/he coordinates the smooth implementation of Tdh projects in Dadaab refugee camps and host community villages. S/he is responsible for external relations and security management, base and staff management, coordination of support activities (logistics, finance) and project activities. S/he also contributes to programme development and external/internal reporting.
The Field Coordinator is a member of Tdh Kenya Senior Management Team. S/he has direct access to key information, such as the general strategy of Tdh in Kenya, including programming objectives in the field, financial details and security guidelines. A professional sense of security, confidentiality, and proper representation is paramount.
The incumbent will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and Tdh Child Protection Policy.
Terre des hommes expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflects proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the organisation.
Tdh intervenes without any affiliation for politics, religion or financial profit. The incumbent will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
- Ensures the representation towards stakeholders in and around Dadaab.
- Ensures overall Tdh coordination with the UN agencies and government representatives in Dadaab and operational representation where relevant in Dadaab area, including sharing of information and reporting.
- Interacts with representatives of the local communities and ensures a constructive dialog to make sure that Tdh activities, policies and procedures are well known by local communities.
- Attends to all appropriate external humanitarian meetings, both general and sector, in order to ensure Tdh’s aims and activities are communicated with humanitarian partners.
- In coordination with the Country Representative, guarantees that all formalities required by the government are prepared properly, kept up to date, and presented punctually.
- Makes recommendations to the Country Representative regarding security issues, including enacting hibernation and/or evacuation plans.
- Acts as the local Tdh focal point for monitoring visits and local queries posed by donors.
- Networks with other NGOs and entities in the interest of information sharing and best practices.
- Coordinates the activities of all Tdh teams in Dadaab, whether support activities (finance, logistics, human resources, ethics and compliance) or project activities (case management, psychosocial support, socioeconomic empowerment, monitoring and evaluation).
- Oversees the interactions among colleagues on site, compliance with Tdh policies, internal regulations and especially the Global Code of Conduct.
- Provides updates and recommendations to the Country Representative and to the Senior Management Team in Nairobi about Dadaab context and Tdh activities in the area.
- Acts as the instrument of management and facilitation for programme activities; ensures proper office functioning for the achievement of support roles and tasks while respecting budget and timeline parameters; a service-oriented support outlook will be maintained by support staff members.
- Follows and facilitates the implementation of projects action plans; facilitates exchange and troubleshooting; follows up on Country Representative’s orientations.
- Contributes to proposal drafting as requested; reviews and edits final versions.
- Facilitates coordination among key staff members of project and support teams in Dadaab.
- Organises internal coordination meetings and workshops for cross-departmental issues and planning purposes in Dadaab.
- Organises, maintains and supports a ‘back up’ system for key Tdh staff for coverage during work absences.
- Ensures that all Tdh staff in Dabaab, whether based there or visiting the project, are aware of Tdh security procedures and strictly comply with them.
- Collects primary indications for security matters from a variety of sources and share relevant information with the Country Representative and with the Dadaab team as relevant.
- Ensures the regular update of all security plan documents and tools, incl. emergency plans, contact lists, emergency kits, etc.
Compliance with Tdh Policies and Procedures
- Promotes and adheres to Tdh policies and procedures: General Code of Conduct, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Fraud and Corruption, etc.
- Commits to ensure the best implementation possible of Tdh policies and procedures in Dadaab, including participation in annual and regular audits.
- Commits to inform the Country Representative and/or Deputy CR in charge of Programs and/or the Desk Officer and to deal with any case of any allegations or possibility of transgression, even potential, of Tdh policies and procedures.
Human resources management
- Leads and manages project and support staff in Dadaab, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, especially on issues related to cross-sectoral collaboration and harmonizing approaches.
- Raises any questions to the Country Representative regarding Tdh compliance with basic requirements of the local law in respect to employment conditions and related matters.
- Assists the Senior HR Officer in staff resource planning: job descriptions, recruitment, induction and training for all staff as appropriate.
- Ensures regular performance appraisals and encourages the personal development plans and the identification of training needs.
Programme Strategy and planning
- In collaboration with the Country Representative (CR) and the Deputy CR in charge of Programs contributes to the design and the review of Tdh strategy and objectives in Dadaab area
- Facilitate strategic alignment of activities to ensure that programmes are implemented in line with Tdh’s overall strategic goals.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supports the project team in implementing Tdh monitoring and evaluation system to evaluate programme results and makes recommendations for future programme directions.
- In coordination with the Deputy CR in charge of Programs, monitors and evaluates monthly project progress and makes recommendations.
General Administration and Logistics
- In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, reviews monthly budget vs. actual reports in order to orient future budgetary expenditures and allocations.
- Respects transparent management procedures as defined in the Tdh Kenya Staff Regulations.
- Produces a monthly report and submits it to the Country Representative.
- Integrates context assessment of Dadaab into reporting and communications; identifies geopolitical trends and indicators which may impact programme activities in Kenya.
- Ensures timely submission of monthly situation reports by Dadaab staff members.
- Masters Degree in Social Sciences or any other related field from an accredited academic institution;
- Extensive team and project management experience (proposal development, report writing, budget management, staff development) in humanitarian contexts.
- At least 7 years of experience in a similar position/high management position in the field;
- Excellent communication, negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned;
- Mature individual, able to work independently, under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision;
- Experience of security management in remote areas;
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response and donors;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues
- Commitment to and understanding of Tdh aims,values and principles
- Experience working in Dadaab is an advantage.
- Fluent in English and Swahili, Somali an advantage
Child protection policy
- Commit to respect the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Child Safeguarding Policy in Kenya, including participation in annual audit, and reviews and updates of action plan.
- Commit to inform the Country Representative and/or the Field Coordinator to deal with any case of any allegations or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
How to apply
Only candidates who fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter and a CV including references. Candidates from the local community are encouraged to apply.
The application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted. Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 20th of June 2023.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview.
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Climate, Migration, Peace and Security Policy Scientist at Alliance of Bioversity & CIAT
- Liaison Officer – Central, Western and South Asia at Organisation of Educational Cooperation
- Protocol Officer at Organisation of Educational Cooperation
- Protocol Officer (Visa and residence) at Organisation of Educational Cooperation
- Field Coordinator – Jigjiga in Somali Region- Ethiopia at Médecins du Monde