World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job ID: 2203162
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): two years
Objectives of the Programme
- The objective of the programme is to strengthen the deconcentration of the WHO country office in Nigeria at the field level (States and Zones). This deconcentration allows WHO to strengthen its effectiveness through the coordination of partners, the capacity of provincial health systems to cope with preparedness, mitigation and response to public health emergencies.
- In addition, this deconcentration will enable the WHO country office to contribute to the strengthening of the health system at both the zonal and state level in general.
Description of Duties
- Provide technical support to the team leaders of the Zones and States t or other health-focused public health entities in Nigeria for the formulation of health policies and programmes aimed at strengthening health Systems.
- Undertake research on improving the prevention and management of health problems in the assigned field of work and disseminate the research results.
- Draft, review and further develop public health guidelines and national strategies and make recommendations on a plan of action to improve existing health systems for the prevention and treatment of diseases covered by the assigned area of work.
- Analyse and evaluate best practices from various databases on public health and health-related issues and develop recommendations for the development of a plan of action to improve existing health systems for the prevention and treatment of diseases covered by the assigned area of work.
- Information related to the outbreak of the disease; identify sources of disease and make recommendations on the appropriate response to identified risks and the implementation of preventive measures and prepare reports.
- Serve as a technical resource at the partner level on communicable diseases in the region and respond to requests and provide detailed and technical information on related principles, practices, issues, measures, techniques and procedures.
- Participate as a resource person in training and orientation programmes in related areas for capacity building.Build a competent team by obtaining the best resources, providing learning opportunities, ensuring continuous monitoring.
- Establish clear performance expectations, delegate effectively, monitor and measure progress against objectives;Orient, coach, motivate and manage all sub-office staff under his/her responsibility by explaining the vision and objectives of the team, ensuring coordination, monitoring and approval of work plans and mission requests, resolving problems while promoting effective teamwork and results, within the framework of WHO Staff Regulations and Rules and AFRO accepted procedures.
- Managing the corresponding budgets within the framework of the WHO Staff Rules and Regulations, Financial Regulations and procedures accepted by AFRO.Perform all other related duties as assigned by the direct supervisors and the WHO Deputy Representative.
- Essential: An advanced University Degree (Master’s level or above) in Medicine, Public Health, Management, Social Sciences or related field.
- Desirable: PhD in Public Health Management, Social Science or related field, specialize dtraining in epidemiology, health management, or public administration.
- A minimum of 10 years’ professional experience managing and developing technical public health programmes of which 5 years atthe international level in multilateral, bilateral or other institutions.
- Demonstrated experience managing diverse teams and financial resources at international level.
- Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies, health cluster partners,recognized humanitarian organizations or relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations. Experience in capacity building programme planning/development, project management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with resource mobilization in emergency settings.
- Good knowledge of the country’s situation with regard to the diseases covered by the work programme with a good understanding of the needs, priorities and policies of the countries concerned, WHO policies, practices, guidelines and procedures in related areas, and possibility to apply them in country offices.
- Ability to identify problems, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and make recommendations.
- Ability to revise and write guidelines and objectives for the assigned programme. Interpersonal skills: tact, patience and courtesy. Good knowledge of health and safety rules.
- Technical aspects of the field of specialization. Public speaking techniques and good writing and communication skills.
- Commitment to achieving the goal of gender equality by ensuring equal opportunities.
- Team spirit and leadership/team management and time management skills. Analytical skills and demonstrated knowledge/experience in health system analysis.
- Desirable: knowledge of coordination, evaluation andassessment of health services programmes/projects.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 90,664 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 3831 per month for the duty station indicated above. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
- Job City Abuja, Nigeria