Position: Field Coordinator – Jigjiga in Somali Region- Ethiopia
Médecins Du Monde – Doctors of the World – Ärzte der Welt is a network of 16 humanitarian non-governmental organizations, working in health and medical aid in domestic and international projects and advocating for a universal access and rights to health services. MdM France has been working in Ethiopia since 1986 implementing different types of projects from long-term interventions to emergency response. After successful registration, MdM Germany (MdM GE) supported local development partner projects and in 2020 started it’s humanitarian programme in Somali Region with funding from German Foreign Affairs Office (GFFO) and ECHO.
MdM GE is implementing health activities in currently 3 locations in the Region, including IDP Camp Qoloji I and II, rural and hard to reach areas and conflict affected communities. The project is focusing on SRH-R, BEmONC and prevention of epidemics, whereas a local partner NGO is focusing on Nutrition and WASH in Nut activities. The strategy for next months foresees a significant scaling up of the size, expanding geographically within Somali Region and neighoring Afar but also in terms of thematic focus to include more primary healthcare and nutrition activities
We search for
The FieldCo will be fully responsible for the Somali Region project, and will be based in the regional capital Jijiga with frequent travels to the the intervention sites.
The Field Coordinator reports to the General Coordinator in Ethiopia.
S/he will report to General Coordinator and work closely with the Coordination Team in Ethiopia and MdM GE HQ Desk. S/he manages directly the programme team of the Somali Region, which is composed of a team of up to 30 local staff in Jijiga and the various implementation sites.
The Field Coordinator will be fully responsible for the overall implementation of the MdM GE humanitarian intervention and project in Somali region.
- Overall responsibility for the effective and efficient management of the MdM programme in Somali Region
- Ensure timely implementation and follow up of the programme in Somali Region according to approved plans and budgets, including monitoring of activities
- Contribute to the definition / revision of MDM strategy in Ethiopia
- Continuously assess the needs and adjust the project activities to the needs in collaboration with the technical managers/coordinators
- Continuously assess the humanitarian needs and timely inform the GenCo/Desk HQ
- Define the partnership with implementing partner organizations, ensure regulary monitoring (programmatic, financial, logistics) and provide guidance if needed
- Ensure adequate and complete data collection and anlysis of the measures implemented in Somali Region.
- Reporting any issues related to partner’s activities. Update follow-up tools regularly.
- Follow contextual development in Somali region: in Jijiga and sites of implementation; prepare an update for the monthly reporting.
- Propose new ideas and modalities to improve the project activities implementation considering contextual and legal developments.
- Overall coordination and supervision of the programme and the field office in Jijiga, Somali Region including personnel, fixed assests, financial assets and other ressources in accordance to MdM procedures and regulations.
- Conduct regularly well documented meetings to monitor project objectives and coordinate work/activity plan with the different actors involved and team members.
- Represent MdM and maintain/build strong relationship with local communities, local authorities and international and national organisations represented in Somali Region.
- Participate actively at relevant meetings and workshops in Somali Region / Addis Abeba as required by the project.
- Ensure visibility of MdM GE within the project and where needed, representation towards donors
Safety and Security Management
- Monitor the political and security situation in the project areas and update MdM GE, General coordinator and Logistic coordinator accordingly.
- Assess continuously the security situation in the field and timely inform the General Coordinator/HQ.
- Ensure team security and safety and compliance with security regulations for the staff under her/hisresponsibility.
- Contribute to the update of the security package and annexes in cooperation with the LogCo, Security Liasion Officer and Security Advisor at HQand ensure that field security plans and rules are communicated, known and respected.
- Ensure timely and accurate security / incident reports are sent to the General Coordinator/HQ
HR – Staff management
- Propose changes in the organigramm if needed in collaboration with the coordination team and HQ
- Supervise all project staff of the Field Offices in Jijiga and overall Somali Region, evaluate their performance on a regular base and ensure that all staff are working under valid work contracts
- Responsible for the disciplinary and grievance procedures of the national team under his/her line management.
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures with the team members under his/her line managment
- Provide technical and managerial support to all team members in Somali Region in fulfilment of their duties according to project objectives and ensure compliance with MdM policies and international standards
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of staff based in Somali Region
- Responsible for capacity building and training of national staff in Somali Region in collaboration with the relevant technical managers/coordinators.
- Compile and contribute in a timely manner to the monthly reports
- Ensure proper and regular project documentation and reporting according to donor and MdM standard (interim and final reports, monthly reports) and link the projects closely and pro-actively to the overall programme of MdM in the country.
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place on base level, maintained and adhered to by both partner and MdM, so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently – where appropriate with the other coordinators.
- Ensure correct utilisation of MdM and Donorguidelines on logistics, HR procedures, finances and administration in close coordination with the LogCo and AdminCo in Ethiopia.
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the AdminCo in Ethiopia and Programme Administrator HQ and develop plans to mitigate any under or over spending at project level.
- Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues, ensuring all projects are compliant with these and MdM procedures
- Minimum of 5 years of senior NGO management experience in leading programmes and teams in complex emergency situations preferably within the health sector and public health background.
- English fluent (speaking and writing), Somali as an asset
- Strong experience of project planning, monitoring and budget follow-up; proposal and report writing skills.
- Experience in local partnership development and management
- Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability;
- Good organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations;
- Excellent computer skills
- Good communication and team management skills
- Ability to classify and manage priorities – High autonomy is required
- Interest and ability to work in international teams
Conditions of employment / What we offer
- Starting date: as soon as possible.
- Length of the contract: 12 months with possibility to extend.
- Duty station: Jigjiga, with frequent travels to interventions sites.
- Salary: according to MdM Germany’s terms and conditions.
- An exciting and challenging job in an internationally recognised non-profit organisation where you can make a difference.
- A collegial and professional team and excellent support from HQ.
- A creative environment with room for new ideas and possible development in the position.
- Cooperation with our colleagues in the internationally recognised MdM network.
How to apply
Please apply via our application tool.
For questions regarding the post, please contact Mariam Janssen-Yousaf:
Our aim as an organisation is to reflect the diversity of the people we support. We therefore explicitly encourage people with a migration history, people of colour, people with disabilities and people of all ages, genders, sexual identities and ethnic or social backgrounds to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Support Coordinateur Financier (H/F) – Bamako at Solidarités International
- Mozambique– Security and Access coordinator (M/F) – Pemba at Solidarités International
- Security and Access coordinator (M/F) – Pemba at Solidarités International
- Mali – Logisticien base (H/F) – Niono at Solidarités International
- Coordinateur Pays Coopérative hulo (H/F)-Ouagadougou at Solidarités International