Save the Children International Kenya Country, office has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as Field Office Advocacy Officer. The role holder will provide strategic leadership in policy, advocacy and programme related learnings at the county level. The role will include; development and implementation of county advocacy initiatives focusing on education and other thematic areas of focus for the organization that ultimately results to political will and commitment towards children’s holistic skills development within national education systems being enhanced. The officer will map out key child participation forums at both the county level to ensure children voices contribute to the realization of the project’s objectives besides packaging information/research findings and developing appropriate communication channels for dissemination of information/research findings; project documentation and dissemination; capacity building, learning and knowledge management. The role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualification and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience in advocacy work, as well as contributing to the development and implementation of advocacy strategies. Experience working within the education sector is an added advantage.
- Highly knowledgeable on Child Rights Governance including; Public Investment in Children
- Excellent understanding of Kenya’s budget cycle (both at county and national level) and moments.
- An understanding of policy and legislative development processes at both national and county levels.
- Superior written communication skills, including the ability to translate complex arguments into accessible English for a non-specialist audience, and the ability to write articles that would be published in the mainstream press.
- Knowledge of the devolution processes, and its impact on the health sector.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, appropriate for high-level external representation (for example lobbying county governors, ministers, MCAs)
- Experience of developing advocacy strategies, knowledge and understanding of a range of advocacy techniques
- Experience of effective team work and outstanding inter-personal communication skills
- Experience of coalition building and working with civil society actors to deliver change
- Excellent understanding of Sustainable Development Goals, Vision 2030, policy and legal provisions in support of child survival.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili
- Commitment to Save the Children’s mission and values
- An academic qualification directly related to social sciences, Political Science, Governance, International development or Community development.
- Experience and training on policy and advocacy.
- Good knowledge of the nutrition and health field, including the work of academic/research contacts, NGOs, UN agencies
- Good presentation and persuasion skills.
- Experience of policy research, having written and published policy reports and briefings and evaluating evidence of their impact.
Save the children international employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://kenya.savethechildren.net/careers.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2FiZGltdWhzaW4uNjI4MTMuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuYW8uYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t