VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia & Ethiopia. It focuses on Livestock, food security and Livelihoods, Natural Resources Management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency, and Agriculture, marketing, but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF Germany is implementing the project ‘Strengthening Livelihoods and Resilience of Crises-Affected Communities in Puntland and Jubaland States, Somalia**’** for the next 3 years with funding from BMZ. Funds direct recipient is VSFG for Somalia and then VSFG has sub-contract the implementation to Partners, as sub-grantee (SIF) Local partner: Somali Lifeline Organization (SOLO), VSF-G, will implement activities in Somalia (Puntland state). Puntland State is geographically located in the Eastern portion of Somalia. The population mainly depends, either directly or indirectly, on livestock products for their livelihood and is best suited for pasture, and not for extensive crop production due to general scarcity of water, formation of salt deposits on plots in the water spring areas, poor farming systems and the poor quality of available seeds.
The project will be implemented in Puntland – Nugaal region (Garowe and Burtinle). The overall objective of the program is to “To enhance livelihood and resilience of vulnerable crises-affected communities and institutions through multisectoral interventions*.”* The action will be implemented in a consortium led by VSFG in collaboration with SIF & Local partner: Somali Lifeline Organization (SOLO), key stakeholders including; Government and local authorities, Puntland National Veterinary Association, Private sector, Training institutions and Community groups in-order to ensure the success and achievement of the set objectives.
We seek to recruit a qualified and well experienced Field officer to support the implementation Natural Resource Management project Activites. The position will be field based in Garowe and with frequent visits to other locations within the project area. The incumbent will work in collaboration with project officers and project manager to provide technical expertise and support in planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and communication. The Field Officer will be in charge of direct implementation of project activities for a period of 12 month with possibility of extension based on performance. The position holder will work under the guidance and in close cooperation with the Project officer and in collaboration with all field staff. S/He will be directly responsible for community mobilization and actual activity implementation.
· Works with the Project Officer and by extension Project Manger to gather information and materials used with the beneficiaries and local communities.
· Conduct both structured and unstructured trainings of the community on the implementation of various project activities; community awareness, organizing of training venues, distribution of project input to beneficiaries, etc.
· Oversee implementation of all project activities to beneficiaries in selected villages
· Interact with the community and compiles report for the Project Officer.
· Conduct community meetings to update them on progress of the implementation
· Mobilize the community in the selection of project beneficiaries for monitoring, supervision & accountability.
· Mobilize the community to ensure their participation in appraisal of progress of the project.
· Provide periodic updates to the Project Officer /Project Manager on the progress of activitiesof rangeland sustainability, Natural Resource Agreeements and committees at the Field.
· Organize and plan for community sensitization meetings on various project aspects.
· Conduct household field visits to assess the needs and progress of activities implementation.
· Collect data for baseline surveys e.g. beneficiary profiles, market surveys, Household survey and NRM survey etc.
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Minimum qualifications and work experience
· At least a Diploma qualification in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Agricultural Science, Animal Science, or similar discipline.
· At least 3 years working experience as a Field Officer (or similar position) in implementation of donor-funded projects.
· At least 3 years working experience in sustainable agriculture, value chain capacity building for private sector traders and producers management of water infrastructures and holistic natural resources management (HNRM) approach for sustainable management of rangelands.
· Experience in liaison with national and international actors in community based interventions, gender and youth issues.
· Good knowledge in monitoring and documentation of knowledge management.
· Ability to promote team work for effective and efficient output.
· Fluency in spoken and written English will be an added advantage
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter and CV to: Postal address: VSF Germany, Piedmont Plaza, off Ngong’ Road, 2nd floor, P.O BOX 25653, 00603 Nairobi
Or via email address firstname.lastname@example.org . Indicate on the subject the Job Title applicable. Applicants will be assessed on a continuous basis alongside internal candidates. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 25th August 2021, on or before mid-night (East African time).
Disclaimer: VSF Germany does not charge for its recruitment nor ask the applicants to pay any form of fee.