United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities. Established in 1976, the organisation has nine country programmes in Africa, Asia & South America.
In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities in the country’s South East. We implement projects funded by major international donors that aim to address gender inequalities and rights abuses, improve sanitation and access to water, foster accountability, preserve vital ecosystems and develop sustainable livelihoods.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Location: Abuja, FCT. Regular travel to Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa States is necessary. Travel to other parts of Nigeria and internationally may be required
Reporting to: Finance and Administration Manager
Responsible for: Communicating and liaising closely with United Purpose (UP) and SHF stakeholders on finance and administrations policies as necessary/ appropriate at State and LGA level
Duration of Contract: One year with a yearly renewal of contract subject to performance and continued availability of funds
Expected Start Date: September 2022
- United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world’s poorest communities.
- In Nigeria, UP has been working for almost two decades with local partners and rural communities to implement projects funded by international donors. Addressing areas of gender inequalities and rights abuses, improving sanitation and access to water, fostering accountability, preserving vital ecosystems, and developing sustainable development livelihoods.
- In Nigeria, we partner with Federal, State and Local Governments, other civil society organisations, and communities to implement development interventions reaching thousands of rural people each year.
- Several funding partners currently fund the Nigeria Country Programme, including the Sanitation and Hygiene Fund (SHF – former WSSCC), the Unicef, the Welsh Government, etc.
- United Purpose has been nominated SHF Primary Recipient in Nigeria for a three-year programme focused on the sanitation market in 3 states: Ogun, Bauchi and Jigawa. United Purpose is the consortium’s lead, which regroups three other organisations.
- The Officer is to support the programme team and provides technical assistance in overall LGA and non-state partner staff implementation on Finance and Administration and would work closely with the UP HQ Finance and Accounting Team IN Abuja.
- The project will take a market-based approach to increase access to improved sanitation, hygiene and MHH services, developing product solutions and strategies that are evidence-based and effective, to be demonstrated for scaling.
- It will work in ODF, and OD Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Bauchi, Jigawa and Ogun states, developing and demonstrating context-specific approaches. It will incorporate global expertise on MBS and build the capacity of local NGOs.
- The program will define how MBS can effectively be combined with CLTS to move households directly from OD to durable, at least basic levels of service and test how OD communities can be raised on the sanitation ladder by MBS, reducing common risks of ODF slippage.
- We are seeking a full-time State Finance and Administration Officer who will contribute to implementing activities for the project.
- This position will support the Country Finance and Administration Manager in effectively managing the project’s finances (including budgets) ( State and LGA levels ) to ensure accuracy and deadlines are met.
- They will be a reference point for financial and administrative matters in the State and LGA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support subgrantees with setting up appropriate financial systems that fit UP/SHF requirements (including maintaining proper records of financial transactions) and identifying capacity gaps.
- To act as the critical reference point for financial and Administration queries relating to project operation at both State and LGA levels.
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly forecasts and float requests.
- The utilisation of standard float retirement template.
- Understanding and utilisation of appropriate budget lines for each transaction.
- All other financial queries by sub-grantees
- Responsible for subgrantees floats and retirements to the extent of;
- Receiving accurate monthly float retirements and bank reconciliations from all subgrantees and feeding retirements into UP’s ledger.
- Monthly and year-end verification of subgrantee balances
- Flagging up outstanding floats and bank reconciliations
- Support subgrantee’s procurement process by being part of their procurement committee
- To work closely with HQ Abuja Finance Team
- Identifying capacity gaps and training needs of sub-grantees
- Implementing/embedding improved Grant/Finance management systems at the subgrantee level
- Preparation and drafting of monthly and annual budgets; and periodic forecasts based on sub-grantees requirements
- Monitoring of monthly and yearly budgets.
- Processing project transactions in the ledger.
- They provide financial management support to programme staff at state and LGA levels.
- Obtain authorisation/approval for staff retirements (from the Project Manager and SMT ) before processing on the ledger
- Obtain authorisation for staff float requests from the Project Manager and SMT
- Work closely with staff during planning for field activities.
- Support FAM on project Auditors – To liaise with auditors and provide them with the required information during the fieldwork of programme audits.
- Liaising with other UP Finance and Admin. staff, as may be necessary
- To carry out any other duties assigned by the Senior Management Team.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or related Degree. Part qualified Accountant, ideally studying to complete an accounting qualification.
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, and techniques.
- Minimum five years’ experience. Experience in the non-profit sector is a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in accounting system software and expertise in Microsoft Excel and report writing.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse, and performance-related environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, handle large amounts of data, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and effectively with civil society organisations, donors, project staff, and other beneficiaries.
- At least three years of relevant experience in Gender-related and WASH projects, funded by international donors.
- Experience with rules and regulations for non-profit organisations. Knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
- Good technical accounting skills. Experience in financial planning, bookkeeping practice and principle, knowledge of internal controls, general ledger, cash management and reconciliations, payroll processing and taxation. Understanding of financial reporting, measurement and analysis.
- Experience in working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in an international and intercultural environment
- Proven track record of capacity building/training
- Solid knowledge and understanding of community-based approaches to development.
- Excellent planning, coordination, and prioritisation skills
- Strong facilitation, diplomatic, and interpersonal skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills – listening, presenting, discussing, reporting, putting views forward, and negotiating with confidence. Sensitivity to cultural and language differences
- Planning and Organisation – Able to prioritise within restricted resources to tight deadlines. Able to anticipate and adapt to change. Strong attention to detail. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Self-motivated to set initiatives and self-learn.
- Good computer knowledge with command of MS Office
- Ability to facilitate training for community-based organisations and government stakeholders
- Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse and performance-related environment
- A proactive approach to problem-solving
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Gender, intercultural and interfaith sensitivity.
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- Positive outlook and stand-alone disposition.
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the programme.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Another language is a plus.
What We Offer
- This position offers the opportunity to gain experience with an international NGO whilst receiving mentoring and learning on best practice global WASH approaches and issues.
- We provide a competitive salary and benefits package and, above all, a respectful and empowering working place.
Remuneration and Benefits
An attractive package dependent on the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: email@example.com using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- In the cover letter, please ensure to explain the following:
- Why you are applying for the position
- How do your skills and experience meet the person’s specification
- When you would be able to take up the position if it were offered to you
- You are recommended to apply early, as applications will be assessed as they are received.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The expected start date is September 2022, depending on the donor’s decision.
- United Purpose is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against applicants on the basis of Gender, religion, ethnicity, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation.
- United Purpose also has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
- Job City Abuja