Finance and Administrative Manager
International IDEA manages a programme to support the “Consolidation of Democracy in Mozambique” with funding from the European Union (EU) and co-funding from Austrian Development Agency (ADA). The programme aims to support consolidation of democracy by reinforcing the fairness, transparency and credibility of the electoral processes and strengthening capacities of the elected representatives and their democratic institutions. The programme comprises four interlinked components: i) Support to civic observation; ii) Civic and voter education; iii) Electoral legislation reform; and iv) Capacity development of newly-elected representatives and their institutions/bodies. Programme implementation began on 1 April 2018 and will conclude on 31 August 2023.
The Finance and Administrative Manager will manage the infrastructure and systems needed to ensure sound internal financial management, and will engage in regular communication with co-implementing partner organisations and donor representatives on financial and administrative matters pertaining to the programme’s implementation. The post holder will also monitor the programme’s expenditure progress, overseeing all financial reporting, ensuring compliance with International IDEA and EU regulations and requirements, providing information on financial progress to the programme’s leadership, and leading financial skills building sessions for relevant partners. The Finance and Administrative Manager will be part of the senior in-country management team and will be involved in strategic planning, producing budget forecasts and monitoring, and line managing the in-country finance and administrative team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all finance, administrative, human resources, procurement and facilities related aspects of the Maputo office, and supervises the programme’s support team;
- Monitors adherence to financial and contractual requirements in line with International IDEA and donors financial and procurement procedures and policies, with special focus on timelines for reporting, invoicing and disbursement;
- Prepares financial projections, statements and expenditure reports as required;
- Tracks the programme’s financial progress; analyses the programme’s expenses as required; underlines budget deviations and provides the programme’s leadership and external partners with financial analysis;
- Collaborates with programme team and EU finance functions to align financial and technical reporting to ensure the integrity of the programme;
- Provides support and guidance to internal and external stakeholders and partners in all matters related to grant management, contract management, as well as the preparation and revision of budgets;
- Provides guidance to internal and external stakeholders and partners to ensure capacity of grantees/partners to administer and implement grants;
- Expected to travel to any geographical area involved in the Mozambique programme;
- Provides budget management support to the programme’s internal and external stakeholders and partners through monthly budget reviews;
- Conducts risk management in line with organisational risk management policies and procedures;
- Provides oversight to programme audit; and
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the Head of Programme or any person designated by him/her.
- Collaborates with the Head of Finance and Operations ( Africa and West Asia region) and HQ (Stockholm) teams on technical financial reporting matters, annual year end routines, audits, procurement and treasury functions.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Possesses the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit, and collaborates well with other internal and external entities;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism; and
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender and diversity perspective in all activities
- Head of Programme, Mozambique
Education and Experience**
- University degree in business, financial management or a related field:
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management, administration, including experience in planning and management of project grants, audits, or related areas;
- Experience in the management, monitoring and evaluation of grants;
- Previous experience of supervising and directing individuals and small teams;
- Working experience with EU funded programmes;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organisation or international NGO, would be considered an advantage;
- Fluent in written and oral English and Portuguese is essential; any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- One (1) year fixed term appointment
- Remuneration – EUR 5 884 NET per month + benefits
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 13 May 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
- Job City Mozambique