Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Job Identification: 3000696
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: On-site
Job Category: Finance
Job Shift: Day
- The Transitioning Households to Recovery from Vulnerability (THRIVE) in Jere project is a two-year emergency and recovery project funded by BHA/USAID. Over the course of the project, CRS with Mercy Corps (MC), Women in the New Nigeria (WINN), Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO) and Justice Development Peace Committee (JDPC) will provide context-specific humanitarian assistance with the goal of initiating early recovery in targeted areas and will operationalize an area-based approach to advance participants from lifesaving assistance to life-building support.
- The THRIVE consortium will reach an estimated 120,00 unique participants across 10 sectors.
- As Finance Assistant you will provide comprehensive and efficient information, clerical, and accounting services to assist the Finance Department in CRS Maiduguri in executing processes and delivering service needs that support high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable.
- As part of an experienced finance team, you will deliver quality support in your role, applying clearly defined accounting and financial reporting processes, procedures and service standards.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Process e-voucher and other vendor payments using the approved documentation checklist.
- Update the payment tracker and share a weekly progress report of payments with the budget managers and program leads;
- Create invoices to record partner liquidations following the approved guidelines;.
- Perform data entry for financial transactions recording, following confirmed validation by the authorized supervisory Finance staff.
- Keep custody of various finance documents (e.g. blank/undelivered checks, fuel coupons, etc.).
- Any other task as may be required by the AMO or designate.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: AMO, Finance officers, grant accountants, SCM and Admin staff, Budget managers and program leads
- External: Partner finance staff
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related courses is required. Professional diploma/Certificate or courses in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or Business Administration a plus.
- Minimum of two (2) years work experience in a similar role with some familiarity of standard accounting practices. Experience with an international organization a plus.
- Experience using MS Office packages, in particular Excel and Word. Hands-on experience with data entry into online databases and forms.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with great attention to detail;
- Time management and the ability to schedule tasks logically to complete assignments and meet deadlines;
- Team working and collaborative skills;
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics;
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results oriented;
- Strong customer service ethic and abilities.
- English and Hausa are essential. Fluency in another language spoken in Borno State, such as Kanuri or Shuwa Arabic would be an advantage
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 20 %.
Agency REDI Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
Agency competencies clarify expected behaviors and attitudes for all staff. When demonstrated, they create an engaging workplace, help staff achieve their best, and help CRS achieve agency goals. These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Personal Accountability – Consistently takes responsibility for one’s own actions.
- Acts with Integrity – Consistently models values aligned with CRS Guiding Principles and mission. Is considered honest.
- Builds and Maintains Trust – Shows consistency between words and actions.
- Collaborates with Others – Works effectively in intercultural and diverse teams.
- Open to Learn – Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
Agency Leadership Competencies:
- Lead Change – Continually looks for ways to improve the agency through a culture of agility, openness, and innovation.
- Develops and Recognizes Others – Builds the capacity of staff to reach their full potential and enhance team and agency performance.
- Strategic Mindset – Understands role in translating, communicating, and implementing agency strategy and team priorities.
Application Closing Date
11th June, 2023 at 01:59 PM.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- CRS prioritizes candidates who are citizens/ permanent residents of the countries where we have CRS offices.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer