Purpose of position
Provide support to the country office, as related to the implementation of Direct Disbursement Mechanism – DDM activities, by ensuring the support in budget review and monitoring, review financial transactions, e-imprest, journalization, and liquidation of payments and facilitate the timely transfer of funds for Programme activities, and to do the assurance activity pre, during, and post campaign. Provide assistance to national and international staff and non staff on all issues related to financial matters.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
*Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective
To ensure the successful implementation of the Direct Disbursement Mechanism – DDM activities for Somalia.
*Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment)
Under the supervision of the Operations Officer and general guidance of WR and relevant Project Officer(s) work is performed in a typical office environment. Work is assigned by supervisor who gives instructions on non-routine matters. Guidance is provided in the form of work programme, account guidelines, administrative and financial instructions. Supervisor/s and lead-worker/s determine priorities on the basis of changing and ad-hoc requirements. Incumbent performs day-to-day routine tasks independently. Complex issues or exceptions from established procedures are discussed and resolved with supervisor. Some judgment and interpretation are involved in determining appropriate methods for the processing of the various accounting tasks and in adapting established practices to assigned work. Complete work is reviewed by supervisor(s) for accuracy, adherence to the established procedures and deadlines
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer, the incumbent will perform the
- To do the assurance activites before, during, and after the campaign. The incumbent will travel within the assigned area of work and liaise with field team and the service provider to ensure the registration of the end beneficiaries.
- Validate the financial information received from the technical team and field related to campaign activities (i.e. budget, list of beneficiaries, payment request, attendance sheet, and supporting documents, to ensure compliance as per policy.
- Facilitate payment process related to DDM and prepare reconciliation of campaign activities. Ensure proper implementation of financial procedures, systems and internal controls according to WHO rules. Select and enter data from variety of documents, ensure accuracy in calculations and attach necessary supporting invoices or receipts of payments and payment authorizations in DDM Software.
- Record all entries in the DDM system, and coordinate with finance team to record the expenses and receipts in the e-imprest and reflect it in the GSM in a timely manner. Monitor the unposted items in the cash book and take necessary steps to clear them in coordination with CO Finance Assistant. Act as a focal point between the WHO office, and the service provider/bank to monitor and resolve problems during the disbursement process.
- Initiate, verify and process financial transactions and payments for WRO office and sub-offices related to staff and non staff costs, purchase orders, local purchases, etc, based on authorizations received from technical team and field offices. Monitor budget and process financial transactions, including processing and reviewing of purchase orders for services – Imprest, DFC’s, GES and other activities with the aim to ensure accuracy of financial data, adequacy of supporting documents and maintenance of proper accounting records.
- Reconcile the activity budget with the actual implementation and expenditure and justify any difference in reconciliation; prepare and submit the variance analysis on a monthly basis
- Prepare the activity tracking sheet from planning till closure and share it with the management on monthly basis. Initiate correspondence and answer queries related to area of work. Maintain and update the documentation and archiving of DDM files including back-ups (soft and hard copies), the DDM database and bank portals.
- Provide timely and accurate regular feedback to the supervisor on the implementation of the DDM and payment process.
Completion of secondary education; training in business administration/commerce and or technical courses in a field related to the work performed. Sound working knowledge of MS Office, MS-Excell, MS Power Point, and MS Word
Desirable: University degree in accounting, commerce or business administration is an asset.
Professional experience and knowledge
Essential: At least five years of related experience in accounting and/or administrative work.
Desirable: Relevant experience in the UN system and having audit background
Essential: Very good knowledge of English and the local language
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences*
- Moving forward and changing environment
- Producing results
How to apply
Please follow the below instructions when sending your application:
Send your CV to the email address: email@example.com
Email Subject: Application for Finance Assistant – DDM – Duty Station: Baidoa – Roster Please mention the DS you are applying for
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.