Sudan | Full Time | September 2022 | 12 months
*Pending funding, This position will be filled contingent upon funding*
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need always to be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you believe in an abundant world full of amazing people who want to help, in the simple human justice to build a life; and in doing a better thing, then read on!
Alight, formerly the American Refugee Committee (ARC), is an international non-governmental organization providing integrated health; nutrition; and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH); food security and livelihoods; community protection; and peacebuilding services to nearly 2 million people annually.
Alight came to Sudan in 2004 as one of the first humanitarian responders to the emergency needs of some 500,000 war-affected IDPs and host populations in the Tulus and Gereida corridors in South Darfur. In 2014, Alight expanded services its reach to include East Darfur. Today, Alight serves displaced populations and host communities in Kassala, Gedaref, West Kordofan, and East and South Darfur states. Alight provides lifesaving humanitarian action, recovery, and development services in these five states, with a country office based in Khartoum.
Field offices in Kassala, Gedaref, Nyala, El Daein, serve as the key state hubs for program delivery. Alight’s staff is more than 99 percent Sudanese, with nearly 800 full-time staff joined by over 400 incentive and community health and protection workers in delivering lifesaving programs and durable solutions in Sudan.
Alight is registered in Sudan and works closely with Federal and State Line Ministries to carry out its humanitarian and development mandates.
Under the supervision of the Head of Finance, provide overall leadership, oversight and management support for all aspects of financial management in the Country Office (CO). Team of the CO, with a focus on ensuring accountability, stewardship, coordinating planning and budgeting processes, providing accurate financial data, analysis and advices. Responsible for the finance staff capacity strengthening, the development and implementation of good internal controls, risk management, and utilization and safe guarding of assets according to ALIGHT approved policies and procedures. This position is based in the capital Khartoum with extensive travel to all field offices.
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions including regular cash verification, bank and balance sheet accounts reconciliations, monthly closing, timely submission of financial report to Head of Finance, headquarters (HQ), donors etc.
- Complete monthly balance sheet and intercompany reviews and reconciliations.
- Promptly respond to HQ finance queries including Intercompany charges.
- Update the financial compliance dashboard monthly, note and address any significant variances.
- Monitor grant spending through production of monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) analysis and ensure program teams explain significant variances and propose corrective measures.
- Supervise sub-grants financial matters and provide support to partner NGOs.
REPORTING AND BUDGETING
- Monthly closing, timely submission of financial reports to ALIGHT HQ, donors, etc.
- Prepare timely financial reports of donors.
- Prepare timely budgets, cash requests and accounting reports.
- Monitor grant spending and projections.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets for all proposals, including accurate support of budget narratives.
- Support program teams to accurately realign budgets whenever necessary.
- Provide regular and timely budget reports and analysis to the Country Director and field program managers.
- In coordination with Head of Finance, lead the production of ALIGHT North Sudan annual budgets.
- Support the Country Director to produce and update donor matrixes.
- Liaise with donors on finance and budget issues as required.
- Supervise finance staff. This includes ensuring they are properly trained and know what performance expectations are.
- Carry out staff appraisals for finance staff.
- Organize and lead orientation and training sessions related to finance.
- Travel to the field as required ensuring systems are properly followed.
AUDIT AND INTERNAL CONTROLS
- Implement and administer ALIGHT systems for internal control, compliance, and accounting data processing and financial reporting functions in accordance with donor regulations.
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate accounting system, including: computer data entry and paper file system.
- Ensure local taxation law requirements are fully complied with.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned by the Head of Finance.
- Initiate and facilitate grants start-up meetings and workshops, providing guidelines and tools, (e.g. donor requirements, budget analysis & management).
- Selection of partners is well documented, and all approvals are granted internally before engaging the partners
- Provide support to Head of Finance and Finance department.
- At least 8 years overseas experience in finance/management for an international NGO, preferably in programs in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with international donors and grant requirements.
- Experience in a large size organization (≥20 million USD)
Educational background and specific skills required
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field
- Good computer skills, including Microsoft Office, outlook, and experience with finance software
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Ability to work with a team in an intense environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Sense of humor and good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English. Arabic would be an asset
You strive for…
- Humility: You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
- Inclusivity: Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
- Empathy: You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
- Joy: Seriously! We believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
- Flexibility: We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always –
embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
- Creativity: You have the ability to apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet the challenges presented.
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost of your health premium and 75% of the cost of coverage
for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount after one year of
Generous Leave Time – Between general leave and R&R, you have ample opportunity to take time off
when you need it.
Borderless team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility celebrates moments of abundance,
shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace
and tailor to your professional goals.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
How to apply
- Protection Team Leader(Monitoring) at Danish Refugee Council
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer at Green Concern for Development (GREENCODE)
- iMMAP Nigeria Recruitment (2 Positions)
- Senior Program Officer (INGO Forum) at iMMAP Nigeria