Finance Coordinator (Kenyan Nationals Only)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation.
DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, DRC currently implements projects in Central Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, and Khartoum states.
DRC in Sudan office is looking for an experienced Finance Coordinator, this is a national position based in Nairobi and supporting the Danish Refugee Council Sudan program, an Initial contract of 6 months will be awarded to the successful candidate to be renewed subject to funding and staff performance. The successful candidate should be willing to travel to Sudan when the situation allows.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Finance Manager. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Financial Management & Accounting
- In charge of month-end closure processes, ensuring all costs are booked and reconciliations done
- In charge of Partner reports and booking into DRC Dynamics
- In close cooperation with Managers in geographical area reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines of DRC’s Operations Handbook, internal guidelines and donor requirements.
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors and internal reports to colleagues and HQ.
- Ensure compliance with relevant country statutory and other financial obligations such as tax, levies and statutory returns.
- Ensure thorough and effective budgetary control in the country programs
- Liaise with relevant Managers on key financial issues for all programs in the country, including co-funding, financial reporting, key variances and any remedial action.
- Ensure all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with Coordination staff and HQ.
- Prepare for local audits.
- Contribute to the development of proposals with regards to budgeting in cooperation with Managers
- Any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during partner field support visits.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building, provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Participate in conducting trainings for partner staff in the field offices and develop their technical skills by ensuring all processes related to donor guidelines and governmental requirements are adhered to.
- Focal point for conducting financial due diligence of potential Consortia members in any upcoming consortium project.
- Support DRC Finance Manager in internal and external audit processes by ensuring all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with area staff and country.
DRC Dynamics ERP system
- Ensure DRC Dynamics is used to its full capacity.
- Ensure proper application of ERP finance processes in the country.
NB: The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
University degree in Finance,Accounting,Commerce,Business Administration
- At least three year’s work experience in field of financial management,accounting,book keeping in an NGO or the UN sector.
- Proven experience in working with consortia led projects and managing large budgets
- Proven experience in working with INGOs/ National partners, local/government authorities
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Working experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN guidelines will be an advantage.
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
- Ability to prepare donor budgets for consortia led projects will be an advantage.
- DRC experience in finance system is preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages added advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Nairobi and supporting Danish Refugee Council Sudan program
Start date: ASAP
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 10 June 2023
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
How to apply
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Niger – Expert/e en Ethnopsychiatrie at COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale
- Niger – Chef de Projet at COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale
- Resilient Livelihoods and Markets Team Lead – Nairobi, Kenya at Mercy Corps
- Water Security Team Lead – Ethiopia at Mercy Corps
- Head of Support Mali at Norwegian Refugee Council