The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation. We provide assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide. What is NRC? NRC promotes and protects the rights of refugees and people who have been displaced within their own country. We take action during situtations of armed conflict, and engage in other contextes where our competences will add value. The majority of our 5000 staff members are national employees in NRC’s projects in around 25 countries worldwide. All our projects are supervised by the NRC Head Office in Oslo. NRC was established in 1946 under the name Aid to Europe, to assist refugees in Europe after World War II. Today NRC is organised as an independent, private foundation. We cooperate closely with the UN and other humanitarian organisations, around the world as well as in Norway. What does NRC do? Programme Activities: NRC’s main activity is the deliverance of humanitarian aid through programme activities in the field. NRC specialises in five programme areas, or core competences – Shelter, Food Security, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Education, and Information Counselling and Legal Aid (ICLA). The core competences are adaptive to different contexts and mutually reinforcing.
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 2 years
- Location Borno
NRC is looking for a Finance Coordinator (Grants & Reporting) for our Country Office in Maiduguri, Borno State in Northern Nigeria. Finance Coordinator (Grants & Reporting) position is to support the Finance Manager in the financial management and reporting on NRC’s multi-project based finance framework. NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in the Maiduguri, Yola & Jos Area Offices and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter; Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA); Education and Camp Management in order to address identified humanitarian needs. The Finance Coordinator (Grants & Reporting) reports to the Finance Manager
The following is a brief description of the role.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure that country set up adhere to Financial Handbook, NRC policies, donor and auditor requirements
- Implement NRC’s financial systems, routines and procedures
- Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows
- Management of financial team
- Training of line managers and staff with financial responsibilities
- Provide regular analysis and reports
- Implement anti-corruption policy
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
Digital Communications Officer at ActionAid International
Compliance Director at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
Senior Technical Officer – Prevention, Care & Treatment at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi)
WHE Team Lead at World Health Organization (WHO)
Field Coordinator at World Health Organization (WHO)
Field Security Officer at World Health Organization (WHO)
Regional Marketing Officer, SSA (Exams and Cultural Engagement) at British Council
Senior Technical Advisor, HIV Prevention at Pathfinder International
Associate Director, Pharmaceutical Care and Supply Chain Management at Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
- Adherence to NRC Policies, Guidance and Procedures
- Support in the preparation of donor budgets, amendments and forecasts ensuring donor compliance and quality control, working closely with the budget holders and Grants Manager.
- Support in the preparation of interim and final donor financial reports for All NRC Projects in respective donor and internal NRC formats ensuring that costs are incurred in accordance with donor regulations
- Support in providing technical support and capacity building to budget holders, finance and non-finance staff on budget preparation/revision, budget monitoring, donor regulations and the use of NRC financial tools
- Support in preparing project Top Downs and updating the eBPO in consultation with the Head of Program; Head of Support and the Country Director.
- Allocation of shared cost percentage / amount for every new grant and ensure adequate coverage of shared costs
- Ensure that donor submission deadlines of financial budgets and reports are planned well in advance, with a clear timeline of responsibilities by maintenance of all donor grants overview, donor requirements, rules and regulations and internal and external deadlines.
- Support in ensuring that recommendations from internal and external audits are followed up.
- Be the focal point for internal and external financial audits, for both annual and project specific audits, conducted at NRC country office, by ensuring that documentation for sampled transactions are available in advance of the audits as required by auditing teams.
- Support in the Review of the Area Office monthly BVA (Budget versus actual) reports, shared by the respective Finance Team Leads, before their monitoring sessions with their respective Area Managers/Program teams in the Area Offices, by highlighting areas of risk in relation the budgets, including flagging any need for cost extensions/no-cost extensions
- Ensure availability of documentation required to be kept by donors by maintaining high standard information management/filing systems
- Support in updating monthly, the Reconciliation of Deliverables template secured on the intranet, per project according to guidelines provided in the Securing Supporting Documentation Initiative.
- Support in the monthly review of the Transaction Checklist updated by the Finance Officer, Abuja, for completeness and compliance to the guidelines provided in the Securing Supporting Documentation Initiative
Similar Vacancies, Ngo jobs in Africa now
Confederation of African Football (CAF) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Administrative Assistant at the U.S. Consulate General
Medecins du Monde (MdM) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Plan International Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Population Services International (PSI) Job Recruitment (7 Positions)
Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
African Youth for Peace Development and Empowerment Foundation (AFRYDEV) Job Recruitment (5 Positions)
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- CC Specialist
- Finance Coordinators
- Competencies: Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum 2 years of experience from working as a Finance Coordinator or Finance Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Solid knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal .
- Valid driver’s license
- Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Example: Knowledge of the context in Somalia
- Example: Knowledge of the local language Somali
- Example: Experience with start-up, exit or similar
2. Behavioral competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) on ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com
You might Also Like
Programme Policy Officer (School Feeding) CST-I (Mogadishu & Garowe) at World Food Programme
Deputy Nutrition Cluster Coordinator, Consultant (Level II), Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer AAP (Accountability to Affected Populations) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Joint Resilience Programme Coordinator) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Social Protection) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Food Systems) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Partnership) – NOA at World Food Programme
Communications Officer at Mercy Corps
Subaward & Compliance Officer at Mercy Corps