Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Intern
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (On-site)
Duration: Six months
- We are looking to fill the opening for Finance Intern in our Maiduguri Office. We launched our programs in Nigeria in 2004. As at date, the country program has offices in Abuja, Jos, Benue, Maiduguri, and Yola.
- We work with partners in target states of the country to support peaceful resolution of conflict. Each program is adapted to specific local context and conflicts, and all apply common ground tools from our toolbox.
- Search has established a permanent presence in Abuja as an operational base and all our Nigeria offices are currently supporting a host of programs with activities that include capacity building, dialogues, peace architecture, media programming, participatory theatre and collaborative joint activities.
Summary of Position
- The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to test academic knowledge in real-life scenarios, under the guidance of a highly professional team.
- The intern will further advance his/her knowledge in the program area and build interest in the operations of an INGO.
- He/she will also gain understanding of the skills and knowledge required for success in a global workplace.
- The Finance Intern will also develop decision-making and critical thinking skills, increase confidence and self-esteem.
- S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Finance Manager and in close coordination with the Finance Officer, Project Coordinators and Officers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure all transactions are in compliance with SEARCH accounting policy, Donor restriction and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist in making payments to suppliers, contractors and program staff based on approved documents and in line with authority delineation.
- Ensure scrutiny of the entire bill for accuracy and receipt of goods before process for payment.
- Be responsible for documentation, preparation of cash disbursement voucher for all cash transactions related to the station office.
- Maintain confidentiality of all financial and other job related information.
- Ensure proper documentation, Stamping, Labeling, photocopies and filing of all financial documents.
- Prepare and process day to day financial transactions and implement internal control procedures in keeping with the policies and procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance of financial statements in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports for implemented projects
- Support in reconciling bank accounts.
- Collects credit tax receipts from PIRS.
- Assist in project and country office logistics i.e. travel arrangements.
- Assist in preparing supporting information for project audits.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned.
You are expected to be competent in:
- Being accountable and passing on accountability for ones own actions and those of colleagues and the organization.
- Attention to detail
- The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently
- Quality of work
- Work is performed accurately, neatly, and on time. Work is consistent, complete, and requires minimal checking and correction.
- The ability to recognize and create opportunities and to act accordingly. Rather starting something than waiting passively for it to happen.
- Learning Ability
- The ability to absorb new information readily and to put it into practice effectively
- Organization of Work
- Manages his/her time effectively and takes initiative, finding innovative ways to get the job done.
- Demonstrates self-reliance and resourcefulness
- The intern will be eligible for a daily stipend of NGN 2,500 for each working day. Payment will be made at the end of the month for the days worked. SEARCH is not liable for any payments, insurance, or other liability beyond this allowance.
Application Closing Date
Monday, 14th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates should submit a Motivation / Cover Letter with an interesting location clearly stated on the subject. Applications that do not follow this instruction will be disqualified.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.