Role & Responsibilities
Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Finance Manager oversees the financial activities of the programme. Overseeing the financial activities of the programme, the Finance Manager carries out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, HQ, field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme. This involves organising and further developing the financial processes required for the projects to function effectively as well as managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required.
Multi-sectoral relief programme in Madagascar including provision of Health, Nutrition, WASH, and NFI/emergency shelter services across fixed and emergency response locations.
Workplace & Working conditions
Field based position in Antananarivo, Madagascar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
ASAP. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Manage the day-to-day accounting functions of the programme including, but not limited to:
- Reconciling / verifying bank and cash amounts on a weekly basis.
- Ensuring payments are made in a timely fashion, as well as in line with Medair policies and procedures.
- Ensure prompt entry of all transactions for the programme into Field Connect, reviewing all transactions on a monthly basis
- Compiling the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met.
- Supporting field bases in financial matters, as required.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going (monthly) basis, and provide feedback to project teams, and senior management as required.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed in all Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring.
- Work with Budget holders, senior management and HQ staff in the preparation and development of budgets for projects and shared costs.
- Support the preparation of donor budgets and financial reports within the required time frame
- Allocate cost’s to donors in line with contracts and donor regulations.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors, HQ or other bodies.
- Support internal and external HQ financial audits as required.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Work with HR to ensure the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made and subsequently paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Support the HQ Finance Programmes Officer (FPO) in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Manage and oversee the programme finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, staff development and training, appraisal, etc. Provide functional supervision to field Finance Officers.
- Develop and maintain a communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable financial activities and requirements, including the distribution of key financial information.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Management and oversight of cash and bank payments, ensuring the control of cash flow and the accuracy of all supporting documentation
- Accurate and timely recording of all in-country financial transactions
- Preparation of South Sudan Annual Accounts and coordinate audit of the accounts
- Financial input for project budgets, donor proposals and reports in collaboration with field management and HQ
- Legal compliance of Medair’s in-country financial activities in accordance with Medair, donor, national and international requirements
- Line management of finance staff, including recruitment, performance monitoring, disciplinary action, etc.
- Implementation and improvement of finance systems and policies
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) completed.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least three years.
- Experience in a financial supervisory position
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- POLICY AND MEDIA ADVOCACY LEAD at Faith to Action Network
- Chargé·e de conformité at Triangle Génération Humanitaire
- UN·E COORDINATEUR·RICE TERRAIN at Action Contre la Faim France
- Coordinateur/trice technique en développement organisationnel at Médecins du Monde – Belgique
- UK Programmes and Office Assistant Intern at SEED Madagascar