Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Manager
Job ID: 2023-1127
Job Type: Contract
Category: Accounting / Finance
Contract Duration: 2 year fixed term contract
Reports to: Country Director
Responsible for: Finance Team
Department: Operations, Planning and Finance
- The Finance Manager (FM) will work with the Country Director in the Nigeria Country Office (NCO) with responsibilities for all Finance related areas. The role will report to the Country Director with functional line management by the Regional Finance and Support Services Manager.
- He/she will be responsible for monitoring the country resource management and will identify risks or issues to the Country Director. Will oversee/supervise the NCO finance team and the financial monitoring, audit, risk and compliance for all Sightsavers funded projects and partners at the country level.
- Financial Management and Risk Mitigation: 50%
- Ensure financial control and managing risk.
- Ensure the conformity to the organisational Financial Framework with specific respect to implementation of:
- Financial Management & Controls
- Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Financial Monitoring & Audits
- Monitor and retain financial record.
- Ensure compliance to local regulations and governance requirements.
- Conduct periodic internal reviews or audits to ensure that compliance procedures are followed.
- Conduct or direct the internal investigation of compliance issues.
- Assess donor compliance or operational risks and develop risk management strategies.
Project and Programme Management: 50%
- Support, administer and strengthen financial management, accountability, and capacities of partners in accordance with Sightsavers Partnership Development
- Policy Support collaboration between finance and programme teams for joint review of project/programme reports, planning and analysis.
- Support and provide grant management support (restricted and unrestricted funding)
- Support proper financial and resource management of programmes with the joint review of project planning and monitoring reports, auditing of funds provided, analysis of programme delivery and grant management reporting.
- Ensure proper financial monitoring of projects including audit of funds provided.
- Support the management of programme logistics, supplies and purchases as per procurement policy and procedures.
- Ensure the regular update of Country Risk Matrix.
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience)
Job holder entry requirements – the essential knowledge, skills and behaviours required:
- Candidates should possess relevant professional Accounting qualification or Bachelor’s Degree in Finance / Accounting. A Master’s Degree is desirable.
- Extensive working experience, ideally in an INGO environment but experience of audit and government organization would also be an advantage
- Experience of financial management, programme & project management and administration
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent financial and resource management skills.
- Excellent project management and data analysis skills
- Excellent IT skill – Excel, MS Word, Accounting packages and Outlook
- Ability to understand and work with project budgets, forecasts, and reports.
- Ability to influence high-level government officials and NGO leaders.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of a global team.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to represent Sightsavers with key external stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral & written)
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to deliver group training sessions.
- People management skills with a strong diplomatic understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
- Able to travel regularly on a national and international basis.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for persons with disabilities.
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation.
- Change and improvement – Seeks continuous improvement in own and team’s performance. Assists and encourages others to adapt to change and implement new ideas.
- Communicating and influencing – Identifies the needs of others, uses effective
- approaches and styles to persuade and communicates to groups in an interesting and effective way.
- Decision making – Consults and listens to take clear and timely decisions.
- Planning and organisation – Develops plans considering all the resources necessary to achieve objectives.
- Monitors objectives and measurement systems on a regular basis, identifying trends and key messages in data.
- Delivery and implementation – Continue to perform objectives positively in the face of pressures from various sources. Ensure the team has a ‘can do’ attitude and customer service mentality.
- Team working – Encourages and supports team members to ensure contributions are recognised, delegates effectively and encourages working in collaboration.
- Plus, we would expect the following:
- Interpersonal and intercultural sensitivity
- High degree of integrity
- Active listener.
- Country Director
- Programme Team
- Regional Finance & Support Services Manager
- Regional Director
- Finance & Performance Team
- Various staff based in all departments at Haywards Heath, UK.
- Service Providers
- Government agencies
- Financial Institutions,
- External Auditors
- INGO and NGOs working within country.
Local Terms and Conditions apply.
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Consultant – Survey, Surveillance and Population Size Estimation at Palladium Group
- Mental Health Supervisor at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
- Operations Officer, Kenya at Fauna & Flora International
- Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist at DAI Global
- Country Director-Somalia at Oxfam