Country Finance Manager at Christoffel Blinden Mission(CBM) International
Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM) International is an International Christian Development Organization, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest countries of the world. CBM provides grants sourced from private and institutional donors to local partners, who subsequently implement the grants on the basis of contracts signed with CBM detailing implementation, accounting, and reporting standards. In this set-up, CBM Country Offices (CO) perform control and monitoring procedures aimed at partner projects; control reports from implementing partners to CBM, including comparison with original source documents, project contract and cost plans; and ensure compliance with organizational and statutory requirements.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant senior management position below:
1. Job Title: Finance Manager- Country Office Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Nigeria; with travels to project locations
Contract duration: 2 years
Contract type: Full-time
Contract start: As soon as possible
Reports to : The Country Director
Direct Reports : Programme Finance Officers and Finance Officer
Main objective of the role:
Acts in the Role of an Finance Specialist • Provides specific accounting services to support business development and execution. • Ensures timely adaptive services in sync with business needs. • Advises managers on specific issues related to sound accounting principles.
1. Main Tasks
a. Responsible and accountable for all finance matters in the Country Office
b. Ensures strong financial disciple in Country Office finances, implements control and compliance checks to ensure donor funds are utilized in line with CBM and donor agreements.
c. Work in direct laison with the programme team and provide adhoc reports as may be required.
d. Perform periodic audits or spot-checks of partner financial management and control system.
e. Enforce partner delivery of timely,complete and quality finance reports in line with CBM’s requirements including annual financial statements; verify quality, provide feedback to partners.
f. Maintain database of patner reporting records.
g. Give immediate notification of (critical) finance issues, and engage actively in the resolution of these issues.
h. Monitors cash balances with partners.
1.1 Budgeting and Planing
a. Coordinate all aspects of the annual and multi-year budget process with Partners, in line with CBM’s budget guidelines.
b. Conduct the financial and legal compliance part of partner assessments.
c. Oversee the development of the budget component of all proposals, ensuring all costs are accounted for and maximum costs are recovered; hold authority to sign off on the financial component of proposals.
d. Include finance capacity development measures into partner project proposals; conduct training of partner organizations in financial management of grants.
e. Prepare and manage all aspects of the annual Country office budget.
1.2 Country Office Finance Management and Controls
a. Manage the finances of the Country Office in line with CBM standards, local regulations, and applicable donor regulations.
b. Manage the financial risk register of the Country office.
c. Validate the Country Office payroll, and ensure tax calculations, social security and other statutory contribution are made in line with relevant CBM internal and national regulations.
d. Maintain internal accounting system and records, and ensure reliability and integrity of financial management information system, documentation and reports.
e. Ensure that internal control measures and donor regulations are adhered to for all cash and bank reimbursements, receipts, transfers and include backup supporting documentation.
f. Monitor costs versus budget, bank balances, cash balances and asset purchases.
g. Ensure that any purchase, lease or sale of assets is done in accordance with government guidelines and receives the required approvals.
h. Control and maintain a CBM country assets register and inventory, in line with CBM or donor requirements, as applicable.
i. Organize and manage the annual audit of Country Office accounts and prepare, manage and implement follow-up plans on given recommendation.
j. Manage the preparation, circulation filing and archiving of all accounting, financial and contractual account documents in comformity with CBM precedures.
k. Ensure compliance with in-country financial regulatory requirements including statutory accounts, audits, tax filling, social security xontributions, etc. amd work on other compliance matters with the relevant function:
· Administration function:CBM in-country registration and annual reporting to relevant authorities.
· Human resources function : labour law.
· Manange banking relationships (e.g. opening and closing of bank accounts).
a. Submit timely and complete reports to the Country Director, Regional Hub Office and International Office as per agreed timetable and in line with established reporting requirements.
b. Provide regular budget monitoring reports (budget vs actual expenditures) and other financial reports to budget holders/stakeholders as required for periodical analysis and provide recommendations for budget realignments as required.
c. Reagular and pro-actively inform/update the Country Director on arising financial issues with a potential impact on Country Office management.
d. Ensure compliance with in-country statutory accounting and reporting requirements.
1.4 Staff line management
a. Adequately resources the CBM country finance office function in terms of staff members, skills and capacity and mange the country finance team based on performance.
1.5 Additional Respnsibilities
a. Actively participate as a member of the Senior Management Team in the Country Office.
b. Participate and actively contribute to learning platforms in the region and recommendations for enhancements to relevant policies and procedures to create operational efficiencies.
c. Be available as a potential member of CBM internal Teams of Competence regarding finance/accounting matters.
d. Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Country Director.
e. Carry out the role-specific responsibilities to safeguarding children and adults at risk ( as guided by CBM’s relevant policies)
f. Prompt resolution of audit and critical issues.
Travel activities ❒ YES
2. Requirements –
· Degree in a Finance related field (such as Finance & Accounting, Business Management or Business Administration) and advanced university degree is desirable
· A professional accounting qualification (such as ACA, CPA, ACCA) and Project Management knowledge is compulsory.
· A minimum of seven (7) years relevant experience in a similar position, preferably with an international development organisation.
· Strong analytical, problem solving and financial modelling skills.
· Good knowledge of MS Office (particularly advanced Excel skills).
· Strong working knowledge of accounting programmes.
· Experience in ensuring effective financial management, systems and controls, including institutional grant management, particularly with an international organization.
· Experience in working with person with disability or a lived experience with disability is an advantage.
· An effective team player who is able to work diplomatically and with sensitivity with individuals from variety of cultures, professional and personal backgrounds.
· Experience working with non-profit program management, auditing, budgeting and accounting.
· Experience working with Ministries of Health; ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with key stakeholders within the ministries;
· Knowledge of grants administration, and ability to interpret grants-related governmental documents and accurately respond to them.
· Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organisation skills.
· A mature leader and capacity builder with sufficient self-confidence to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
· Solid understanding of project cycle management.
· Intercultural knowledge and sensitivity.
· Proven ability to perform in a multicultural working environment.
· Team player and good communicator with a proven ability to motivate people.
· Fluency in English.
· Willingness to commit and adhere to CBM’s values, mandates and Child safeguarding policy.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Deadline for Application:**14th April, 2022**
- CBM strongly encourages women and persons with disabilities to apply for this position.
- Only successful applicants will be invited for interview.
- The future job holder will adhere to CBM’s values and commits to CBM’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.
- The role is a permanent contract located in Abuja, Nigeria. This position has a national compensation package and is subject to local employment and immigration laws.