Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organization and has been active in Kenya since 2005 supporting local partners in various fields such as health care, disaster risk reduction, nutrition, food security and livelihoods. In May 2011 Johanniter opened an office in Nairobi in order to enhance its Kenya programme and strengthen the cooperation with its local partners.
Currently, together with our Kenyan partner organisations, Johanniter is implementing several projects throughout the country, including disaster relief and disaster preparedness activities and a livelihood project in Turkana. Additonally Kenya is part of a regional project, together with South Sudan and Uganda. The project, funded by the German Foreign Office, focuses on South Sudanese refugees and is implemented together with local partner organizations with regards to Health, WASH and livelihood.
Overall job purpose
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the Treasury Management of the Johanniter office in Kenya, and be the focal point person for issues of compliance to the donor requirement, organization policies and procedures and ensure the smooth running of the finance department through supervision of the staff
- Manages the preparation and maintenance of a variety of financial records and reports and supervises data gathering and data entry and financial planning work
- Preparing, monitoring and closing project budgets and organizational annual budgets
- Conductiong in budget reviews, monthly forecast, and fund transfers in line with the approved budgets of the projects
- Develops plans and implements goals and objectives for the finance department, prepares and administers internal policies and procedures relating to departmental program activities;
- Ensures Johanniter and donor compliance in all aspects of financial management, ensure proper allocation of costs to various cost centers and correct budget lines
- Ensures proper cash management in the mission and reviews the cashbooks ensuring that all transactions are properly recorded
- Renews and checks all vouchers to ensure all purchase procedures
- Ensures the supervision of systems for paying suppliers payments by check, order bank transfers, and cash with the Finance Officer
- Ensure that salaries, per diem, advances and suppliers payments are done on a timely manner
- Ensure compliance to donors’ requirements Johanniter International Assistance purchase procedures
Training and Capacity Building
- Conducts financial trainings for partner organisations regarding Johanniter’s financial procedures, government obligatory regulations and donor guidelines
- Ensure regular field visits for monitoring partner organisation to assist them in financial matters
- Develop concepts and proposals for financial capacity building activities of the organization and carry out such capacity building for Finance team
Professional Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Management
- Qualification in accounting (at least CPA II)
- At least three years’ experience in a similar position
- Professional in Excel, Words and computerised accounting. Knowledge of the SUN System or any accounting software is essential
- Ability to organize, plan ahead and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Flexibility, ability to adapt
- Good team player
- Responsible and innovative
- Capacity Building and Training skills required
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to travel throughout Kenya
- Fluency in English
How to apply
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
*We require background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.*
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org until 07. January 2022.
Please indicate Finance Manager Kenya in the subject line of your e-mail and the application mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Interviews are expected to take place between 17. – 21. January 2022. The candidates will be invited by mail at short notice.