Position Title: Finance Officer (2 Positions)
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 30 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management (HoRM) and direct supervision of the Finance Officer (FO)/Head of Finance (HoF) and in close collaboration with the Regional Office, the Department of Financial and Administrative Management (DFM) at Headquarters (HQ) and the Administrative Centres in Manila (MAC) and Panama (PAC), the Finance Officer will be responsible and accountable for supporting and coordinating the budgetary and financial functions of the Country Office (CO) and the Special Liaison Office (SLO) in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the HoRM and FO/HoF in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in the CO including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability.
- Undertake preliminary financial analysis of programmes/projects implemented in the CO, monitor budget control processes, and follow up on the implementation of effective internal controls and the design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- Provide technical support to the Programme/Project Managers throughout the programme/project cycle to enable compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
- Ensure that accounting data are properly entered into the ERP system, in accordance with IOM’s financial rules, regulations and practices, ensure the maintaining of accurate financial records including electronic and hard copies of all financial supporting documentation.
- Assist the FO in reviewing monthly accounting closure records and returns for accuracy, ensuring that these are submitted on a timely manner and completed according to IOM’s Accounting Policies and Procedures.
- Assist in preparation of annual budget for the CO and the budgets for all new programmes/projects.
- Inspect the Payroll versus programme/project budgets by ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to the respective programmes/projects consistently with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Coordinate and prepare the programme/project financial reports in accordance with IOM and donor regulations, requirements and established procedures.
- Liaise with relevant Units at HQ, Administrative Centres and the Regional Office regarding accounting, financial and administrative activities of the CO; provide technical inputs for reports on the financial situation of the CO.
- Supervise and manage the Finance Unit’s staff. Support the FO/HoF in supervision of the CO’s administrative management functions, including recruitment, personnel administration, and other related activities, in accordance with IOM’s policies and procedures.
- Assist the FO/HoF in forecasting cash flows according to the activities in the CO and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that programme/project funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements and contribute to the training of staff in the areas of accounting, finance and compliance to financial procedures. Facilitate and support capacity building and knowledge sharing in finance/accounting and budget field.
- Provide support to HoRM and FO/HoF in facilitating the financial audit of the programmes/projects in accordance with the donor agreements as well as in providing guidance and advice to project staff on matters pertaining to risk management.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as Chartered Accountant (CA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be an advantage.
- Experience in accounting, financial management and reporting;
- Experience in preparing clear and concise financial and management reports;
- Experience working in and with international institutions;
- Experience with internal control assessment, internal or external audit;
- Previous work experience in the Region is an advantage; and,
- Previous working experience in emergency operations is an advantage.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting system, software and procedures, Common System regulations, policies and procedures are a distinct advantage;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration is an advantage; and,
- Knowledge of MS Office products and good computer literacy skills are required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 March 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 63 Finance Officer (2 Positions) (P2) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (58023194) Released
Posting: Posting NC58023195 (58023195) Released
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Resources Management Officer at International Organization for Migration
- International Mechanic at CTG
- MERL Assistant-Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning at Aga Khan Foundation
- Chargé(e) de Redevabilité sur le terrain at Catholic Relief Services
- MONUSCO Strategic Communications Officer at Norwegian Capacity