Overall purpose of the role:
To support Kakuma office in strengthening and maintaining the integrity of finance systems, updating and generating timely financial information to area manager and team leaders, cash flow management, payroll administration and the smooth running of the finance in Kakuma.
- Ensure that the Kakuma office consistently meets all donor and DRC rules and regulations pertaining to finance and procurement.
- Ensure that transactions are properly recorded and entered into DRC Dynamics on a regular basis;
- Oversee the petty cash management, ensure cash counts are made together with an independent senior manager and is submitted to the finance controller by the last working day of every month.
- Prepare journals for posting and ensure that all journals are posted into DRC Dynamics prior to month end procedures.
- Ensure realistic cash forecasts are provided by budget holders, collate cash requests to be sent to the country office and follow up cash transfers to the field office. Monitor the cash and banks balances and ensure minimum bank balances at all times and maintain adequate cash levels at the field offices.
- Process supplier invoices through DRC Dynamics ensuring that expenditures are made only after all requisite approvals are obtained and the procurement guidelines have been followed and documents are properly supported
- Ensure costs are shared fairly, transparently and consistently according to DRC and donor policies.
- Ensure timely payment of incentive staffs’ salaries, suppliers’ invoices, casuals and any other payment
- Support the human resources in reviewing incentive staff’s monthly payroll before processing of their salaries
- Monitor staff advances accounts on a monthly basis and ensure timely clearance of any outstanding balances.
- Preparation of donor finance reports and submission to the Finance Controller for review before submission to the donor on a timely basis.
- Lead the process of reviewing Budget Follow-Up (BFU) reports with program staffs on a monthly basis and ensure that any necessary appropriate actions have been taken.
- Closely monitor burn rates and ensure spending is appropriate; inform team leaders and area manager of potential problems in advance, and assist with development of spending plans as needed.
- Ensure that accurate financial information is provided for the purpose of planning, budget development and expenditure controls.
- Play a key role in the development of proposal budgets, ensuring that support costs are adequately covered and assist the team leaders in consolidating and revising budgets in the appropriate format.
- Regularly monitor funding gaps and ensure that the Area Manager and Team Leaders are informed of these gaps and assist in the development of appropriate plans to fill any funding gaps.
- Participate in grant close-out and kick-off meetings; ensure that budget lines are distributed to appropriate owners for proper implementation.
- Support the area manager with supervision of the finance assistant for Kakuma office and ensure that he/she complete their mid-year and annual performance development on time
- Assist supply chain in working effectively with other units to improve planning and resource utilization. Work with program staffs to ensure procurement planning, identification of operational support needs and transition planning
- Supporting to adequately prepare for both internal and external audits;
- Conduct induction for all the new staffs at the field level on finance procedures and processes.
- Any other duties as agreed with the Area Manager from time to time.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 3 years’ experience in financial management/administration within a non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Experience in donor compliance and finance reporting ideally within the humanitarian sector
- Experience of analyzing financial information
- Familiarity with an ERP system preferably Microsoft Dynamics
- Computer fluency; highly competent using Microsoft Excel and other MS applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all departments
- Familiarity with finance reporting to UNHCR, ECHO, BPRM, EU, DANIDA, UNICEF among others
- A recognized accounting qualification (CPA or ACCA)
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Finance or Business Administration/Management/Commerce or compensating relevant work experience.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili. Strong command of written English and ability to speak clearly to various audiences
DRC’s Core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
Contract duration: 6 months (Renewable). Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council terms of employment for National staff.
Availability: July 2022
Duty station: Kakuma
Internal: Area Manager, team leaders, Country Director, Head of Support Services, Regional Finance Officers, and other support and program staffs.
External: Auditors, Suppliers, local community, Other NGO staff
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework
Application Process: Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications, which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation, and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. Applications should be sent no later than: 14th June 2022
NB: This is a re-advertisement; therefore, previous applicants need not apply again.
- Job City Kakuma