Position Title : Finance Officer
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 July 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Burundi and the direct supervision of the Accountability and Planning Officer, the Finance Officer will be responsible for the following.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in monitoring the financial management for all activities in the CO including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake preliminary financial analysis of projects in the CO, monitor budget control processes, and follow up on the implementation of effective internal control, design and functioning of the financial resources management system, making recommendations as required.
2. Provide support to project managers throughout the project cycle to enable compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
3. Ensure that accounting data are properly entered in PRISM, in accordance with IOM financial rules and practices, maintain accurate records of PRISM entries including hard copies of all vouchers and supporting documentation.
4. Assist in reviewing monthly accounting closure and returns to Panama for accuracy, ensure that these are submitted on timely manner and completed according to IOM Accounting Policies and Procedures.
5. Assist in preparation of annual budget for the CO and budgets for all new programs.
6. Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
7. Coordinate the preparation of project financial reports in accordance with IOM and donor regulations and established procedures.
8. Liaise with relevant units at HQs, Administrative Centres and Regional office with regard to the accounting and financial activities if the CO; provide inputs for reports on the financial situation of the CO and provide other information as required.
9. Assist in forecasting cash flows according to the activities in the CO and ensuring daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
10. Make recommendations on procedural improvements and assist in training staff in the areas of accounting and finance, and compliance to financial procedures. Facilitate and support knowledge building and sharing in finance/accounting and budget.
11. Assist in facilitating financial audit of projects in accordance with the donor agreements.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting, and budgeting;
• Experience with internal control assessment, internal audit and or external audit knowledge of IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures, couple with experience with IPSAS, computerized accounting system (including SAP) PRISM.
• Knowledge of IOM accounting system, software and procedures and a high level of computer literacy, in particular in computerized accounting systems (including SAP) mandatory.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 July 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 15.07.2022 to 28.07.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 228 Finance Officer (P2) Bujumbura, Burundi (57672735) Released
Posting: Posting NC57672736 (57672736) Released
Related UN Jobs In Africa
- Humanitarian Affairs Officer (Access), P3 at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- Procurement and Logistics Officer at International Organization for Migration
- Regional Head, Membership Services at International Federation of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies
- Programme Manager at Options Consultancy Services