Organizational Context: Finance Officer
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is ministry of the Society of Jesus, incorporated as an international non-governmental organisation with a mission to accompany, serve, and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. The organisation was founded in November 1980 and now has a presence in over 56 countries. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support and guidance of an international office (IO) in Rome. The style of JRS service is human and spiritual, working in situations of greatest need, seeking the long-term well-being of refugees and displaced people while not neglecting their immediate or urgent needs.
The main services provided are in the field of education, reconciliation, livelihood activities and psychosocial support. Currently, more than 724,000 individuals are direct beneficiaries of JRS projects.
The Finance Officer will be responsible of leading the analysis of financial data looking for trends, compiling statistics, ensuring data accuracy, developing accurate financial forecasts and explaining variances between planned and actual financial activities.
The role will help provide management with useful insights into the data and external factors that may influence it.
The role involves close working with other departments to monitor, especially the Fundraising and Communications department and the Grants Unit of the Programme and Innovation department. In particular, s/he will:
Main responsibilities of the position
- Source, understand, interrogate and analyse internal data with a view to answering strategically important questions and generating actionable insight across the organisation’s activities identifying data gaps and recommending improvements;
- Develop and maintain reports and dashboards, develop metrics and KPIs to monitor and evaluate the performance of the organisation’s activities;
- Prepare written reports for management on findings from data analysis, identifying themes, conclusions and recommendations;
- Assist the field offices with advice, guidance and training on how to understand and interpret data;
- Work with the Fundraising and Communications Department to design and carry out surveys and analyse survey data;
- Work with the IT Department to build reports that will assist with accurate and simple reporting tools;
- Provide data and analysis in response to ad-hoc requests from internal and external stakeholders.
More specifically, the tasks include:
- Analyse financial data and create financial models to support decision making;
- Analyse past results, perform variance analysis, identify trends, and make recommendations for improvements;
- Work closely with the international finance unit to enhance data integrity, review regional operating budgets to analyse budget needs and monitor cost recovery;
- Work closely with the international office finance unit to ensure a high standard of financial reporting, maintaining accuracy whilst meeting targets and deadlines;
- Evaluate financial performance by comparing and analysing actual results with plans and forecasts;
- Provide analysis of trends and forecasts and recommend actions for optimization of financial reporting;
- Project Management Specialist (Food & Nutrition Security Team Leader) at US Agency for International Development
- HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER (Head Of Access Unit) at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- Head of Programme at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Senior Programme Officer: Public Health at SEED Madagascar
Support to other departments
- Support the organisation’s strategic planning process and monitoring of progress against the strategic plan and KPIs, maintaining, reviewing and developing specific dashboards.
- Supports the development of consistent budget and cost recovery methodologies across regions. Identify and drive process improvements, including the creation of standard and ad-hoc reports, tools, and Excel dashboards.
- Develop automated reporting/forecasting tools and work with all departments to identify areas to increase efficiency and automate processes;
- Proactively identify and use new sources of data and contribute towards the continuous improvement of the organisation’s use of data insight/business intelligence in decision making.
Qualifications and experience
- A Masters’ degree in accounting, finance, business and administration, statistics, or related areas;
- At least three (3) years of professional experience working in a finance and data analysis -related role;
- Experience in a similar role with international, non-profit organizations;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Navision is highly desirable;
- Strong background in financial modelling;
- Previous experience in the field is desirable.
Excellent proficiency in written and verbal English; a professional working knowledge of a language spoken in the region or other JRS official language (French, Spanish) is desirable.
Required skills and competencies
- Excellent knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures relating to accounting, financial controls and financial information systems.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and promote effective teamwork;
- Able to deliver staff training and present data insights to colleagues in an easy understandable way;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Good organizational skills and attention to details;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize workload effectively and work to multiple deadlines.
Willingness to occasionally travel to refugee settings in challenging environments.
Core Values and Ethics
- Commitment to JRS’s mission, vision and values; the ability to convey with enthusiasm JRS’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and to advocate for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with people, situations and information;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
How to apply
All applicants are requested to submit the following documents through this LINK:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English, including three (3) professional references with contact information, phone and email address;
- A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for JRS and how her/his qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position;
- Copy of academic qualifications.