Position: Finance Officer
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract (01 year with possibility of extension)
Salary Range: UGX 3.3 – 3.8 Million Gross Pay Per Month
Start date: 01/12/2022
ACTED is an independent international, private, non-partisan and non-profit organization that operates according to principles of strict neutrality, political and religious impartiality, and non-discrimination.
ACTED was created in 1993 to support populations affected by the conflict in Afghanistan. Based in Paris, France, ACTED now operates in 40 countries worldwide. ACTED sectors of intervention include emergency relief, food security, health promotion, economic development, education & training, microfinance, local governance & institutional support, and cultural promotion. For more information, please visit our website at www.acted.org
ACTED has been operating in Uganda since 2007. The mission is looking for a meticulous, curious, self-driven and highly proactive person to fill the position of Finance Officer to be based in Kampala, Uganda.
To know more about ACTED Uganda refer to link https://www.acted.org/en/countries/uganda/
The main role of the Finance Officer will be to ensure proper, timely and accurate financial management, accountancy and documentation of ACTED Uganda projects in compliance with internal and external rules and regulations. In particular, the Finance Officer will ensure efficient, timely and accurate management of financial reporting, review and instalment tracking for partners that are implementing ACTED projects in the Uganda mission in compliance with internal and external rules and regulations.
- Senior Finance Officer
- Finance Assistant
- FLATS Team, REACH Team, Country Representative, IMPACT Country Coordinator
- Consortium partners
- Ensure timely updates to the Next cloud & server by FA
- Train & and ensure compliance by IPs and regular updates of IP folder on the server.
- Correct allocation of all transactions to account codes, projects & budget lines
- Train and supervise FA and ensure comprehensive knowledge of all ACTED financial tools at her disposal.
1. Support and Guide IP’s/ CSO in implementing all FLAT Compliance Guideline:
- Prepare training material for IPs/ CSOs during kick-off of the project on ACTED/ donor guidelines, grants management and financial reporting requirements and follow up with IPs/ CSOs to ensure proper understanding of the policies and procedures;
- Follow up with IPs on regular basis and ensure timely submission of BFUs and financial reports and provide timely quality control on the sub-grantees documentation, creating needed checklists and maintain appropriate level of follow up to ensure improvement
- Adapt ACTED templates as needed for IPs/ CSOs in consultation with the CFM and CTCM;
- Keep an updated and accurate database of all IPs/CSOs with complete documentation and reporting deadlines (PALs, SGAs, amendments, bank details, fund requests, financial reports etc.);
- Keep a copy of all sub grantee files and records and ensure proper filing and archiving of supporting documentation for each financial report;
- Follow up with IP on timely submission of fund requests and all supporting document for review before submitting to HQ for validation and payment;
- Prepare a summary report detailing the review progress and all issues faced and share with Senior Finance Officer and Senior Compliance Officer and prepare adequate action plan to follow up
- Submit monthly IP follow up reports and IP financial tracker to the Senior Finance Officer & Senior Compliance Officer;
2. Payment, Filing & Accounting Procedures:
- Responsible for checking & signing capital vouchers before books are uploaded into SAGA while ensuring correct 3rd party codes, A/C codes, budget lines & descriptions are recorded.
- Verify and part authorise online transfers/payments
- Responsible for supervision and follow up of digitalization process on monthly basis
- Support timely and accurate preparation of all internal reports for the mid-year and annual closure. i.e VI + V2 closure during mid-year and annual closure
- Responsible for cross checking of allocation as per purchase order/ supporting documents
- Responsible for accounting codes accuracy in cash/bank books and payment vouchers according to ACTED Standard entry grid
- Responsible for preparation of the financial sheet and make adjustments as needed/ requested.
- Responsible for monthly SAGA checks (dates, accounting codes, standard descriptions, rates and third-party codes) and making sure financial information is up to date and accurate.
- Responsible for preparing the NLE and integration in SAGA
- Support follow up on resources allocation on projects and to flag possible issues to Senior Finance Officer
- Responsible for cross-checking of allocations with other departments
5. Protection Mainstreaming:
- Promoting and adhering to the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual workers et al)
- Support implementation of external audit recommendations
- Responsible for supervising the finance assistant on the various daily tasks such as preparation of payment vouchers, checking documentation, filling of payments, preparation of monthly entries (Cash/ Bank books), photocopying and scanning of monthly documents for the process of digitalization, weekly cash counts etc.
- Responsible for providing timely and accurate financial information to other departments
- Perform any other task assigned by the Senior Finance Officer/Country Representative
Required Job Qualifications/Experience, & Skills:
- A Bachelor’s Degree holder in Business Administration majoring in Finance and/or Accounting or Professional CPA holder.
- Knowledge in use of accountancy software
- Demonstrated experience of overall responsibility and accountability for the financial management of an organization preferably an INGO.
- Well conversant with computer applications-MS Office is mandatory
- Knowledge of accounting principles and hands on experience of using computerized financial accounting systems
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; patience, diplomacy, and appropriate assertiveness
- Flexibility to attend to large volumes work, move across different ACTED operational locations
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Team player with ability to work with and through people of diverse culture, background
How to apply
Highly motivated and qualified Uganda Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: APPLICATION FOR FINANCE OFFICER – UGANDA not later than 14/11/2022 11:59pm accompanied with:
- Curriculum Vitae (Maximum 03 Pages)
- Cover Letter (Maximum 01 Page)
Cover Letter and CV must be shared as a single PDF document i.e. with the Cover Letter being on the first page and CV starting on the next page, detailing 03 work referees and their day time contacts. Please do not attach any other documents while sending your application. If required they will be requested at a later stage.
Applications failing to respect the criteria above will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Review of Applications and Shortlisting will be done on rolling basis and ACTED reserves the right to hire before the deadline.
- ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent(s) in connection with recruitments.
“ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA). ACTED has a Code of Conduct and organizational policies, which outline the expected behaviour of all staff, consultants and other stakeholders and reminds ACTED’s zero-tolerance approach. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will sign those documents as part of their work contract and is expected to abide by them.”
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Niger – Coordinateur/trice Logistique at COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale
- Response Coordinator at Foundation for the Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE)
- Programme M & E Officer at the Foundation for Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE)
- Gender and Protection Officer at the Foundation for Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE)
- Logistics Assistant at the Foundation for Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE)