Position: Financial Analyst (Accounting), BRAC International Holdings B.V.
A critical role within the finance and accounts team of BRAC International Holdings B.V. (BIHBV). S/he will work closely with the Finance Controller and/ or Finance Manager, BIHBV, to ensure the smooth running of the day-to-day operational accounting functions of a portfolio of BIHBV entities. BIHBV entities are BIHBV itself (the Dutch-based holding company), the holding level debt finance company (BRAC International Finance B.V. (BIFBV)) as well as the Microfinance (MFI) entities in Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Ghana. The activities the analyst will be expected to support will include bookkeeping, accounting, financial reporting for external and internal stakeholders, monitoring, compliance, external audit and payments/ payroll.
The analyst will gain broad-based exposure to the operations of this mission-focused organization with the potential to specialize as they advance. They will be expected to take initiative early on and will have the opportunity to grow and develop as the team expands. The role will be hands-on with the analyst needing to ensure effective liaison with country finance teams. There will be a significant opportunity to travel to countries of operation.
- Work as the focal person for an assigned set of BIHBV entities/ countries.
- Review and analyze financial data (such as monthly management accounts, budgets and forecasts) of assigned entities, analysing past results and performing variance analyses to identify trends and make recommendations for improvements to reduce costs and improve financial performance
- Support the country finance teams in monthly closing and provide guidance on accounting entries and IFRS (as required)
- Reconcile transactions by comparing and correcting data with the management information system (MIS) and financial information
- Ensure all required investor and donor financial reports are submitted on time as well as monitoring compliance with financial stipulations/covenants of those same investors and donors
- Identify and drive process improvements, including the creation of standard and ad-hoc reports, tools and dashboards
- Gather, summarize and present data for reports on financial status and risks, as requested by management
- Provide invoices for management service fees to countries and support country finance teams in reconciling related entity payables and receivables
- Assist the country finance teams in finalising their annual external audit and any government or regulatory audits without any major observations
- Develop financial models, conduct benchmarking and process analyses to support decision-making by management
- To accomplish any other duties as delegated by supervisors.
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, and encourage others to do so.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferably in Finance/Accounting/ Economics
- Candidates currently studying or recently received certification in Recognised Professional Qualifications in Accounting may apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Competencies:
- Knowledge of accounting and finance gained either through studies or professional experience, with knowledge of accounting standards in BIHBV countries of operation, particularly the Netherlands, an advantage;
- Proficiency with MS Office, including strong fluency with Excel formulas and functions, with the ability to produce compelling presentations in PowerPoint an advantage;
- Strong research, analysis and data-gathering skills;
- Strong interpersonal/ communication skills, particularly in English;
- Ability to take initiative and independent decisions.
- Graduates with 1-3 years of experience working in an accounting function, such as with a commercial organization or NGO;
- Experience of working for (or a demonstrable desire to work for) an organization whose mission is to provide a range of financial services responsibly to people at the bottom of the pyramid with a focus on women living in poverty in rural and hard-to-reach areas;
- Experience working with the finance module of ERP systems;
- Experience working in or with emerging or frontier markets;
- Experience in the above within a financial institution, particularly an MFI, will be an added advantage.
Employment Type: Contractual
Job Location: The Hague, the Netherlands or Nairobi, Kenya
How to apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, why you are interested in a career with BIHBV, what motivates you about BRAC’s mission, current and expected salary at email@example.com
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 18/23 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 25 May 2023
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer