About Mercy Corps AgriFin
AgriFin, a Mercy Corps program currently represents a $12 million, four-year program working in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Nigeria, with potential to expand to other markets (Uganda+). In partnership with Bayer Foundation, ADF 2 seeks to support the expansion of digitally-enabled services to 5 million smallholder farmers, delivered by growing ecosystems of diverse service providers and building farmer income, productivity and resilience across by 50% while reaching 40% women.
The program’s core innovations are: 1) a rapid iteration engagement model to drive innovative, client-centric product development; and 2) our work with partners to develop “bundles” of mobile-enabled services offering farmers affordable access to digital financial and market informational services. Our support programming is focused on enabling the following critical areas of innovation, that will follow an ecosystem and market facilitation approach supported through partnership activities and dissemination of evidence-based learning to ecosystem actors following a Market Systems Development (MSD) approach, with a strong gender focus**:**
•Agricultural Advisory and Smart Farming Solutions, drawing on Climate Smart Agriculture (dCSA)
•Appropriate Digitally-Enabled Financial Services for SHF
•Digital Platform Models Providing Market Access, Financing, Information and Resources
•Digital Channels, Logistics and Mechanization
•Use of Digital Data for Decisioning, Product Development & Risk Management.
Scope of Work
We are seeking a Financial Services Engagement Consultant who will be required to advance Tanzania and Uganda based financial services- partnership relationships while supporting the Nairobi based technical team in the successful implementation and evaluation of ADF engagements. This will include crafting engagements, developing new/existing partnerships and facilitating product development initiatives that meet the strategic needs of our core partners. Under the direction of the AgriFin Program Technical teams, the consultant will be responsible for the following key activities:
Partner Engagement and Financial Services Support
● Support strong partner relationships, project plans and product roadmaps.
● Assist and in some cases lead the development of partner business and work plans, reviewing research, marketing plans, business processes, operational manuals, product and technology specifications, and financial statements to do so.
● Perform tasks based on project plans, those agreed with ADF II management, and those assigned by program management.
● Monitor project progress, with regular oversight of technical consultants or third-party providers, report and resolve, or assist in resolving issues, under direction of ADF II management
● Prepare project progress reports and status updates.
● Conduct due diligence on prospective partners, compile required legal documents and share reports on the same.
● Keep up to date with the respective countries agri/fintech ecosystems and participate ongoing learning meetings with program stakeholders related to program focus areas, working in coordination with technical team managers.
● Assist the program in identifying technical consultants as needed, in preparing terms of reference and scopes of work, and provide support and oversight for consultants as required.
● Contribute to the AgriFin Program learning agenda and track partner impact metrics as and when required.
This project implementation shall be fully consultative with key stakeholders and all learning outputs will be developed in close coordination with AgriFin program and related partners to ensure recommendations and final learning outputs remain strategically aligned the program strategy.
- Masters degree in Finance, Technology, business, engineering, economics, or relevant field by individuals/team members
- Work experience in providing advisory services for multi-year international Agricultural and financial sector development projects.
- Proven expertise in proposal writing.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills.
- Familiarity with Mercy Corps systems is a plus.
- Strong analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written interpersonal and presentation skills in English and a proven ability to establish and maintain professional relationships.
- Ability to offer coaching, mentorship and development of technical capacity.
- Local country geographical knowledge is a plus