Summary of position
Action Against Hunger Kenya Country Office is looking to fill the position of FSL Project Assistant who will be responsible for providing of technical aspects of Food Security and Livelihoods activities on behalf of the program under the supervision of the Senior FSL Officer. The main roles and in consultation with the Program officer-FSL and the county government technical teams in matters; designing, planning, implementing (technical oversights), monitoring and reporting on the Program FSL activities.
The role of FSL Assistant has the following purpose, engagement and delivery:-
- The role of the FSL Project Assistant will be to carry out community assessments to identify needs, technical surveys, liaise with the County Departments and implement group training on Good Agriculture Practices (GAP), Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), livestock management, financial skills, group dynamics etc. and emergency intervention where required. Ensure linkage, synergies and complementarity with other sectoral interventions, i.e. Nutrition, WASH as well as proper coordination, consultation and information sharing with partners.
- Represent Action Against Hunger in all coordination at the county and sub-county level, collaborate with other implementing partners, INGO, UN bodies and the local communities to ensure successful implementation of project activities without duplication and resource wastage and smooth running of the projects.
- Work in collaboration with the communities, local leaders, elders and local authorities at all stages of project implementation and represent Action Against Hunger towards partners at the field level when necessary: NGOs, local authorities, UN bodies and community representation (elders, chiefs etc).
- Collaborate with senior FSL Officer, Program Manager, all Project officers and other department field teams to contribute to defining technical strategy when required to ensure the projects are integrated.
Work with the Senior FSL Officer to prepare progress reports, quarterly donor reports, proposals development, Program reports and project procurement plan and contributes to survey reports
Compile program reports on a timely basis in liaison with other program staff; Weekly SitRep, Monthly (statistical and narrative), Quarterly and annual donor reports.
I. Essential job functions
- In coordination with the FSL Senior Project Officer, M&E officer and county teams, participate in the design and conduct all baseline assessments, surveys, and follow-up assessments
- Ensure that all beneficiaries and assessment data are kept organized and in an accessible manner
- To establish a positive and cohesive working relationship with the community and direct beneficiaries of the project and strive to listen particularly women beneficiaries inputs
- To support the County government to clearly understand the objectives, requirements and provisions of the projects
- To improve the participation of the beneficiaries in the decision-making process through management committees, appointed leaders, regular information sessions and administrative structures
- Support the county teams train and monitor food security activities in the field
- Create linkages with women groups to financial institutions, farmers associations, cooperatives, social services and private partnerships etc.
- To ensure the effective implementation of monitoring of activities in the area of operation:
- By working closely with the Senior FSL Program Officer , regularly monitor and evaluate Food Security and Livelihoods projects performance and provide timely inputs, feedback and impact of the ACF Food Security and Livelihoods interventions
- Establish a positive and cohesive working relationship with the community and direct beneficiaries of the project
- Document human interest stories and lessons learnt on quarterly basis
II. Supervisory Responsibilities
- FSL Project Assistant position has no reporting line to manage
III. Fiscal Responsibility
- Prepare cash forecast in liaison with the other Project Officer in line with the work plans
- Ensure the expenditure is as stipulated in the budget lines and strict adherence to the budget limits
- Propose anticipated budget realignment in discussion with Project Officer
- In liaison with the Project Officer, monitor budget spending in line with spending plan; ensure diligence in grants utilization including timely spending and value for money.
- Support the Project Officer in monthly budget reviews and suggesting amendments to the finance team
VI. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel for long distance in the community therefore require being flexible, work under pressure and work beyond working hours.
V. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance for five days per week with eight hours per day however, due to nature of programs, may be required to work longer hours and over the weekends.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic based on the office needs. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well is to infectious diseases.
- Must therefore adhere to measures put in place to reduce the risks including COVID-19 infection prevention and control measures.
VI. Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as General Agriculture, Agriculture Education and Extension, Agriculture Economics, Agribusiness, Agriculture and Human Ecology, Animal Science, Business Development and Marketing and any other related degree
- Experience from county/national government and INGO sectors is an advantage.
- Knowledge of main donor requirements including UNICEF, ECHO, USAID, EU, Private donors etc.
Required Skills & Competencies
- 2 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Previous experience in Arid and Semi-Arid lands of Kenya
- Computer skills with excellence in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Good level of spoken and written English and Kiswahili. Local language is an asset
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and have impact on input on program indicators
- Demonstrate capacity in constructively engaging local authorities and local partners.
- Excellent organization, coordination, report writing skills
How to apply
All candidates should apply through lick here: CLICK HERE . The position is open on a rolling basis and closes on 21st March 2023 at 6:00 pm. Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Law Enforcement Coordinator, Cameroon-Chad at Wildlife Conservation Society
- Director, Digital Health and Government Partnerships at Living Goods
- Deputy Monitoring Officer/Head of Office at International NGO Safety Organisation
- Open International Tender: Consultancy on Final Evaluation of the Ethiopia Migration Programme (EMP)
- MOZAMBIQUE– FINANCE AND HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (M/F)–PALMA at Solidarités International