Position Name: GBV ANC/FP Integration Study Consultant – Technical Specialist (Supervision and Mentoring)
Position Reports To: M/E Advisor
Location: Ebonyi and Sokoto (1 person per state)
Duration: 7 Months**
The “MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership” (MCGL), is a four-year USAID funded project led by Jhpiego in consortium partnership with Save the Children, PACT and The Manhoff Group (TMG). The project focuses on prevention and mitigation of the consequences of violence against women and girls and addressing possible drivers of Child Early and Forced Marriage (CEFM) and is being implemented in Sokoto and Ebonyi States, to address four technical areas viz: Sexual violence (SV), Intimate Partner Violence (IPV), CEFM and early adoption of family planning.
As part of its learning agenda to identify effective GBV response strategies, the project will be conducting a quasi-experimental, matched-pair, cluster-controlled study in Ebonyi and Sokoto State (s) to evaluate the integration of first line response to gender- based violence (GBV), particularly intimate partner violence (IPV) within family planning (FP) and antenatal care (ANC) services. The study will cover 40 selected health facilities in Ebonyi and Sokoto.
The primary aim to evaluate the integration of first-line response to gender- based violence (GBV), particularly intimate partner violence (IPV) within family planning (FP) and antenatal care (ANC) services at public health facilities in Ebonyi and Sokoto States.
- Assess effectiveness of an integrated service delivery model (integration of GBV first-line response and empowerment counseling in standard of care FP or ANC services) in reducing on-going experience of intimate partner violence (IPV) and increasing utilization of modern contraceptive methods among clients.
1a. Assess effectiveness of the intervention in reducing IPV, increasing utilization of modern contraceptive methods, and improving safety and self-efficacy among clients seeking interval FP services.
1b. Assess effectiveness of the intervention in reducing IPV and improving safety and self-efficacy among clients seeking ANC services.
- Explore factors influencing feasibility, acceptability and ability to implement GBV first-line response as part of FP and ANC services.
Trained service providers will provide services using the integrated GBV First Line and ARCHES adapted materials. However, they will require continuous mentoring and supervision during the implementation period which spans over a period, hence the need for this recruitment.
Provide technical support to service providers across the 20 study sites (in each state) with respect to clinical aspect of the intervention and resolution of challenges that may arise during implementation.
Working closely with the MCGL HQ Study Team, In-country RMNCH Technical Director, State Team Leads and other MCGL staff as may be identified, you are to:
a) Participate in the data collection training for Research Assistants
b) Participate in field testing the data collection tools in selected health facilities in Ebonyi or Sokoto State.
c) Conduct routine supervision and mentoring visit to study sites to ensure fidelity to the GBV first-line response intervention
d) Resolve clinical and other study issues that may arise
e) Provide trainings as well as follow-up support and clinical mentoring as necessary for the intervention sites (where applicable)
f) Ensure there are no stock-out of study materials in implementation sites
g) Participate in bi-weekly check-in meetings with the study team
h) Provide weekly update on observed issues and how they were resolved
i) Work closely with the STL to support the facilities and carry out other tasks assigned by the STL.
· An advanced degree in Sociology, public health, medical or health sciences research is required
· Minimum of seven years’ experience in public health and/or international development programs, with a focus on gender and/or gender-based violence
· Experience in mentoring and supervision in clinical settings
· Registered Nurse or Midwife is an added advantage
· Excellent communications and interpersonal skills are essential
· Good spoken and written English
· Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines at short notice
· Excellent report writing skills
· Familiarity with international donors and social development report writing requirements will be an added advantage
How to apply
Method of Application:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org using “GBV ANC/FP Integration Study Consultant – Technical Specialist Ebonyi OR Sokoto” as the subject of the email.
Application Closing date:
Close of Business Thursday 10th March 2022
· CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document
· The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
· Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
· We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
· Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
· Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
· There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Nigeria.
· JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org