International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GBV Community Outreach Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- As part of IMC’s gender-based violence (GBV) prevention and response program, the Community Outreach Assistant will work to increase communities understanding of GBV (including its causes and consequences) and to engage men, women, boys and girls in developing their own strategies to prevent violence and create safer, healthier communities.
- The Community Outreach Assistant will also contribute to the weekly and monthly reporting of the Prevention component implemented in Maiduguri of Borno state. This position will oversee all prevention activities under this project
- This position reports directly to the GBV Manager.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the GBV Community Outreach Assistant include, but are not limited to the following:
Program Development And Implementation:
- With support from Prevention Officers, and in collaboration with GBV community volunteers, conduct quarterly safety audits.
- Participate in community asset mapping, training of GBV volunteers, and the development of communication materials and advocacy strategies as part of the broader prevention program strategies.
- Support GBV Community Outreach Volunteers in developing and implementing weekly plans to prevent violence against women and girls in their communities.
- Work with the Community Outreach Volunteers to disseminate information about the available services for survivors of GBV (Case Management and Medical Services) as well as group activities at WGFS for women and girls.
- Identify and refer vulnerable women and girls to access services and material support at the WGFS in accordance with their level of vulnerability and needs.
- In collaboration with the GBV Women Center Facilitator, facilitate awareness raising in the community using the EMAP framework.
- Support other prevention and awareness activities as needed, including 16 Days of Activism and International Women’s Day Celebrations.
HR Management & Staff Support:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
- Adhere to IMC procedures in preparing the necessary documentation for procuring training approval, materials, and payments for vendors etc., in a timely and efficient manner.
- Contribute to the positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct.
- Consider security implications of all program activities, reviewing all new initiatives with staff teams and community leaders.
- Refrain from making false and unrealistic promises and commitments to the beneficiaries and work in the best interest of the IMC GBV Program.
- Foster a team spirit among GBV staff that is conducive to all staff improving their skills and knowledge base.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop the IMC/GBV program.
- Women Center Facilitators at International Medical Corps (IMC) – 3 Openings
- GBV Case Worker at International Medical Corps (IMC) – 3 Openings
- Programme Coordinator at Street Child of Nigeria
- HR Assistant, Data Analysis at World Health Organization (WHO)
- Malaria Consortium Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- University Degree in Civil Law, Human Rights, Gender, Development, Psychology, Social Work or Gender related programs;
- Willingness to work with the Community Outreach Volunteers at the community level.
- Advanced understanding of the root causes of violence against women and girls
- Experience in implementing and facilitating EMAP and other GBV prevention curriculums
- Strong background in human rights and familiarity with practical challenges faced by displaced and other vulnerable persons,
- Experience conducting assessments and a willingness to help plan assessments;
- Commitment to supporting quality programs through promotion and integration of protection principles in project work in line with international best practices (meeting or exceeding minimum standards);
- Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites (including all outreach and community center locations);
- Proven experience in humanitarian action and in fragile contexts
- Ability and willingness to work during irregular working hours when needed
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Microsoft, etc.)
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) Hausa and Kanuri is a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work and live in very basic living conditions in deep field locations.
- Ability to work under pressure, with minimal supervision.
Communication and Teamwork:
- Ensure good communication with peers, beneficiaries, partners, and other stakeholders
- Facilitate harmonious working relationship with peers, partners, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
- Report problems encountered while on duty or within the team to the Supervisor
- Propose solution to solve any problem faced and report them to the Supervisor
- Participate actively in regular staff and program meetings.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within IMC and amongst beneficiaries served by IMC.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- Proactively engage with your supervisor, and key staff Program, Finance and HR/Admin on all matters to ensure that programmatic and project planning incorporates sufficient funding for assets.
- Conscientious with as excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Literate and strong organizational skills.
Application Closing Date
22nd July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae in a single Microsoft Word Document to: email@example.com using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the Subject of their email, Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- This is a woman-only position. Qualified women applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document.
- International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com. Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review.
- ICT Manager at Malaria Consortium
- State Technical Officer at Malaria Consortium
- Procurement and Admin Officer at Malaria Consortium
- ICT Officer at Malaria Consortium
- Program Assistant at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) – 3 Openings
- Finance Assistant at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) – 3 Openings
- Manager, Human Resources – West & Central Africa at Evidence Action