Position: Gender Based Violence Associate (GBV)
The GBV Associate supports the operations’ efforts to fulfil UNHCR’s mandate and associated obligations on GBV prevention, risk mitigation, and response based on policy, guidance, and strategies.
S/he will focus on strengthening GBV safe and ethical data collection and further analysis of GBV trends. The incumbent will also ensure quality prevention and risk mitigation interventions.
S/he collaborates closely with the UNHCR management and the Protection team in the country and strengthens working relations with other agencies involved in GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response. S/he promotes alignment with GBV minimum standards and respect of GBV Guiding Principles.
S/he also ensures that persons of concern, in particular women and girls, are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
This position reports to the GBV Officer.
Please also note that engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- Assist the GBV Officer in the preparations and holdings of the coordination meetings of the GBV sub-working group (Protection Working Group, Child Protection Working Group and/or PSEA National and Regional Networks) or support follow-up required within GBV sub-clusters chaired by other organizations.
- Support the development of coordination tools such as referral pathways;
- Contribute to safety audits and other relevant assessments.
- Contribute to analysis of GBV trends and gaps, including by assisting with drafting briefing notes and analytical reports.
- Contribute to support other sectors/units on GBV risk mitigation under overall guidance of Associate Protection Officer or Associate GBV Officer / Protection Officer or GBV Officer. Contribute to the design of GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response interventions.
- Support in providing technical guidance to partners and government counterparts on GBV minimum standards under the overall direction of the supervisor.
- Support coordination of adolescent girls activities within UNHCR and partners.
- Support the GBV Unit on the consolidation of IM/data in accordance with deadlines.
- Support and lead the planning of the GBV Unit on the implementation of events such as 16 days of Activism, International Women Days, among others.
- Contribute to GBV partners’ monitoring by undertaking regular field visits and drafting monitoring reports;
- Provide inputs to donor reports;
- Provide GBV case management services for survivors at high risk and/or other complex cases (if relevant in operation) and follow-up with other units/partners as relevant;
- Ensure technical supervision of UNHCR staff providing GBV case management (including coaching and implementation of staff care strategies);
- Support GBV capacity-building initiatives, including GBV safe disclosure and referrals.
- Ensure the wishes of survivors are prioritized as per the survivor-centred approach.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures for GBV as well as the GBV minimum standards and Guiding Principles.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Job City Pemba