Global Health Advisor
Full Time | Reports to Director of Global Support
Location: To be based in East Africa or South East Asia
We are proud to work on borderless teams. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and specifically encourage members of refugee, immigrant or other displaced communities to join us.
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you are looking to be part of a living, breathing, ever-changing organization full of disrupters and doers, then read on!
You are a borderless and strong health professional who is ready to engage with country programs and global teams to build stronger health frameworks to achieve our collective global and individual country-level goals. You’ll support our senior health and nutrition advisors in multiple country programs to achieve our collective global and individual country-level goals. You will use your background in public health, experience in leadership development, and strong orientation to human-centered design to help us achieve a fundamentally different model of humanitarian health programming. Simply put, your purpose will be to motivate and support our health and nutrition staff globally to transform our programming to be compassionate, radically patient-focused, and of human-worthy quality based on collective priorities and identified needs.
A collective of Alight’s health and nutrition experts in Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, DRC, Myanmar, and Thailand. We are a horizontal team of colleagues on a continuous discovery journey of what it means to become Alight in the health and nutrition sectors, supporting each other to deliver a better experience of care and higher quality services to our customers in each country program.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Technical Assistance (50%)
- Develop concept papers, proposals, and budgets in collaboration with country teams as requested.
- Develop tools such as facility checklists, health and nutrition guidance, human centered assessments, case studies, and screening triage. Commit to regular support check ins with the health and nutrition teams.
- Assist country teams to design technically sound log frames and/or work plans to guide sector strategies.
- Work with teams to build relations with health patients and service users to enhance their needs and experiences. Utilize their input throughout project not just before the design or at close.
- Technically support health team project leads and focal points in the health assessment, design, planning, ongoing implementation, and monitoring of health projects.
- Provide technical and programmatic support to Alight field staff, including: program design, planning, reporting and training activities related to Primary Health Care, Nutrition, MCH, SBC, Communicable diseases, Procurement and supply chain management, M&E. Strengthen technical assistance and support to the field through regular touch-in calls, email exchange and field visits, as requested and planned.
- Assist Country Programs to adopt best practices on comprehensive health programs and help develop pilot projects for testing new and innovative programming.
- Review and provide technical input on reports and other documents as needed (internal program reports and donor reports).
- Feed into the technical health support guidance on the WhatsApp feeds or to specific country questions, when requested.
- Provide trainings and other guidance on any health and nutrition queries.
- Keep up with COVID-19 messaging and vaccination planning/implementation.
- Provide guidance in conjunction with other non-health technical team members from Global Support and field teams, as needed.
- Provide SURGE capacity if needed, to country teams that need extra support for an extended period of time.
Strategic Development (25%)
- Work with country programs to develop sector specific strategies
- Work closely with borderless team to facilitate the implementation and integration of global health activities within country program initiatives.
- Promote and engage Alight’s model of health programming which means designing alongside the end user: our patients.
- Maintain regular communication with key health donors and provide technical support to Alight’s health country programs to ensure that program objectives are met.
- Work with non-traditional donors to raise awareness of Alight’s work and expand Alight’s outreach.
- Participate in global and regional health-related international initiatives to represent Alight and promote Alight initiatives and partnership opportunities.
- Work on strengthening relationship-building, exploring potential collaborations and promoting integration to enhance Alight’s Primary Health Care and Nutrition Programming
Evidence Based/Quality Assurance/Learning (25%)
- Continuous engagement on quality assurance and evidence based learning developments, needs, and support.
- Support regular technical review visits to health program sites and engage in providing training and requested support.
- Provide technical review and guidance of program proposals, reports, specialist ToRs, evaluation and survey methodologies.
- Stay abreast of state of the art developments in quality standards and innovations relative to health programming, including donor strategies and guidelines, and ensure timely circulation of information and documentation to country programs.
- Contribute to the analysis and documentation of lessons learned from Alight Health programs.
- Develop SOPs, guidelines, frameworks with country teams in line with the MOH, to ensure appropriate and clear processes are laid out for undertaking primary health care.
- You are an exceptional mentor, a good listener, and guide, with the ability to motivate senior health leads and other members of the country health teams to initiate and follow through on quality improvement processes, and to design health programs and services using HCD methodology.
- You embrace entrepreneurial approaches; have an infectious enthusiasm for public health; and are devoted to refugees, internally displaced people, migrants, and communities affected by or recovering from conflict and emergency.
- This isn’t your first time around the block—as such, you’ve had experience in an advisory role for an INGO, social enterprise, or donor, and/or you’ve used human-centered design approaches to develop and implement health innovations in humanitarian and/or developing country settings.
- You enjoy being involved in health program design, managing quality improvement processes, and are talented at managing expectations and your own time. You love co-creating across teams and are personable, helpful, and incredibly organized.
- You work well with a lot of freedom and do you best work in a culture that does the doable with whatever resources we have.
- You have an optimistic core and are joyful to the people you serve and work beside.
Skills and experience we’re seeking
- Public Health specialist, Clinician, and/or Emergency Health Responder with an advanced degree in Infectious disease a plus.
- Ability to work under demanding deadlines and write cohesive concepts/proposals in a quick manner, keeping high quality.
- Minimum 5 years overseas experience implementing and developing health programs in environments with limited/degraded local resources and infrastructure in insecure environments
- Familiarity or experience with Sphere Standards
- Familiarity with private, US government, UN and multi-lateral donors
- Demonstrated success in proposal development and securing donor funding (UN, USG, EU, etc.)
- You embrace ambiguity and have passion to invigorate the current state of humanitarian health programming and challenge the status quo.
- You deliver your work generously and take ownership of everything that lands in your lap.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Family Friendly – We know that you are a whole person with a life and a family. We honor this. In return, we expect that you will take ownership of your work and follow-through on your commitments; sometimes that means flexing your schedule and we’re good with that.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
- Job City Nairobi