The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Governance Officer
Requisition ID: req27633
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC is seeking a Governance Officer to lead Governance programming in Mubi, Adamawa / Damaturu, Yobe. Governance programming seeks to amplify the voices of people whose lives have been affected by conflict and crisis.
- We support them to regain control of their future by championing their right to influence the issues and programming that affect their communities.
- To achieve this, we: (1) Strengthen the ability of people affected by conflict and crisis to have a voice in how decisions are made in their communities; (2) Enable governments, civil society organizations, community representatives, and the IRC to respond to their voices and provide effective and inclusive services; and (3) Promote communications between leaders and the people they represent so that actions are meaningful and lasting.
- As Governance Officer, you will work with Governance staff based in Maiduguri and cross-sector staff based in Mubi / Damaturu to organize and plan capacity development activities for government, civil society, and community representatives.
Overall Project Quality and Strategy:
- Oversee the successful delivery of the project and overall governance programming within the field office.
- Liaise with staff from other IRC sectors to ensure relevant support, tools and resources are being provided and integrated into project activities.
- Ensure activities are in line with the principles of social accountability, disaster risk management, resilience, and community led development.
- Oversee the development and implementation of community-led disaster risk management plans within 1-2 communities, ensuring active participation and inputs from a diverse range of community members.
Plan and Support the Facilitation of Capacity Development Activities:
- Together with Advocacy Manager and Health Governance Manager, develop and implement capacity building approaches and activities, including for accountable leadership, good governance, and other technical and operational capacity needs.
- Keep good relationships with local authorities and other beneficiaries/participants of the capacity development activities.
- Manage logistical and financial aspect of the activities and set-up the working environment for successful capacity developments and trainings.
- In collaboration with the M&E Officer, ensure the monitoring of the trainings.
You might Also Like
Programme Policy Officer (School Feeding) CST-I (Mogadishu & Garowe) at World Food Programme
Deputy Nutrition Cluster Coordinator, Consultant (Level II), Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer AAP (Accountability to Affected Populations) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Joint Resilience Programme Coordinator) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Social Protection) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Food Systems) CST-II, Mogadishu at World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Partnership) – NOA at World Food Programme
Communications Officer at Mercy Corps
Subaward & Compliance Officer at Mercy Corps
Health System Strengthening:
- Conduct a thorough capacity and gap analyses of State, Municipal, and Local level health actors to better understand where and how the project can support health system strengthening.
- In collaboration with the Mubi-based health team, develop action plans to respond to gaps identified.
- And all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Advocacy Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Position directly supervises: n/a
- Indirect Reporting: Governance Coordinator, based in Maiduguri
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Supply Chain and Finance
- External: Service provider, Traditional and Community Leaders, Local Government Authorities, Government Ministries/Agencies
- Over two years of professional humanitarian/development experience; Experience in capacity building and conducting trainings required.
- Experience with community engagement and participatory processes. Knowledge of disaster risk management concepts a plus.
- Experience with health system strengthening programming highly preferred.
- Strong presentation skills and writing ability.
- Strong interpersonal skills, autonomy, proactivity, and solutions orientated.
- Able to solve complex problems through a reciprocal and consultative approach
- Prior experience working with government actors and/or community leaders is required.
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- You have a solid work ethic and desire to work every single day for the improvement of the lives of the people we serve.
- Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent IRC at forums and with donors.
- Strong negotiation skills essential with experience in conflict resolution desirable.
- You have a positive attitude towards work, and are a self-starter, highly motivated, inspired, and collaborative.
- You promote teamwork, thrive in a multi-cultural environment, are flexible, and handle pressure with professional grace.
- You don’t shy away from a challenge and are excited by the idea of piloting a new way of working in humanitarian contexts.
- You are patient with difficult processes and take time to collect feedback even if it slows down your work plan.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa is required. Additional fluency in Kanuri is preferred.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- The IRC is a team-work environment and requires a person who will work with colleagues from many cultural backgrounds, understand and contribute to the organization’s goals, work well as a member of a group/team, and respect the thoughts and opinions of others in the team. The security situation in North East Nigeria continues to be volatile with security level currently at 3 (orange), though subject to change
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Similar Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) Jobs in Africa
Registration and Identity Management Officer
Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer
Senior Investigation Specialist
Senior Shelter Cluster Coordination Officer
Associate Human Resources Officer