Organization – Adeso – African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Project – Equity Connect Online Platform
Position Type – Graphic Designer (Consultant)
Position Location – Remote (Sub-Saharan Africa preferred)
Duration – Three months
Reporting To – Organization Transformation Consultant
Working With – Organization Transformation Consultant
Starting Date – Immediately
Application Deadline – 9th December, 2021
Vacancy Contact – Please send applications to email@example.com– Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African-based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For over 30 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer, and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia and Kenya.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development
Over the past ten years, Adeso has developed an intimate understanding of the problems faced by both local and national NGOs on a micro and macro level. Adeso has a strong understanding of the barriers that local organizations face in accessing direct funding from donors and the challenges that donors face in partnering with local organizations.
Equity Connect – an online platform – is a critical component of Adeso’s five-year strategy that is focused on systems change and infrastructure development to support the creation of an ecosystem that supports more democratic and equitable resourcing and the strengthening of Global South civil society.
Equity Connect is a centralized online platform that allows direct donor access to local and national NGOs in the Global South that meet industry standards.
The solution aims to fulfill the following:
- Increase visibility of local organizations
- Grow funding flows to local organizations
- Create linkages for both donors and organizations
BACKGROUND FOR CONSULTANCY
The team seeks to have original, high-quality graphic design materials produced for the Equity Connect Platform. The material developed will be adopted by the team and consistently used throughout the platform in future. The consultant will therefore help to develop and improve the design and layout of the Equity Connect Platform. The role will be integral prior to the launch and enhancing sustainability and identity of the platform.
SCOPE OF WORK
The EquityConnect team seeks a Graphic Designer to lead a process with Adeso and the Philanthropy.io team to develop the graphical design elements which will be consistently implemented throughout the site and social media. The consultant should use this opportunity to further promote interaction and collaboration among key users of the site.
The EquityConnect team seeks a designer to lead a process with Adeso and the EquityConnect team including sub-contractors to develop the graphical identity which will underpin the EquityConnect platform and community.
The designer would be expected to undertake a 3-part process:
- Interviews with Adeso leadership – 1 interview
- Platform Development team discussion – 2 team discussions
- Interviews with user segments who are part of the platform piloting community – up to 5 interviews
- Review of up to 5 major documents related to #decolonizeaid, #shiftthepower, Grand Bargain, How Matters – https://www.how-matters.org/
- Lead a working session with the team to create and narrow in on the ‘brand attributes’
- Propose up to 3 possible logos – once a design is selected undertake at least 2 rounds of revisions
- Propose draft elements of the Brand Guidelines
- Gather feedback from user groups – this could be A/B testing or other forms of feedback gathering
- Incorporate feedback and finalize the design
Working with the platform developers and UX designer create a Brand Book and collateral files for the following:
- Logos: full logos, secondary logos
- Color palette: primary and secondary colors – no more than 3-5
- Typography: font styles, sizes, and spacing – no more than 3
- Other imagery: Site banners, adapted icon set, photos, and illustrations.
● Mid-Career; 5+ years of experience in graphic/identity design preferably for Global South organizations.
● Proficiency in graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or any other design tools
● Knowledge in typography and multimedia content development
● Have excellent knowledge of recent trends in graphic design, web sites,
● Ability to conceptualize ideas and present drafts
● Demonstrate the ability to create innovative and visually appealing design
● Demonstrate creativity and openness to new ideas
● Great communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills
● Experience with designing for the web and/or UI experienced desired
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images/graphics (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th December 2021 with Graphic Design Consultant on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive and will begin shortlisting qualified candidates immediately. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Each application package should include the following:
An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant’s previous experience makes them a suitable candidate for this consultancy. The cover letter should answer the following question:
● What is your interpretation and understanding of the needs of this consultancy?
The application letter should also indicate the candidate’s availability and capacity to complete the deliverables within 3 months. The cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages.
● A sample of recent work (portfolio): Web-based link or PDF file (zipped).
● Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
● Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.