The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Communication (AfCFTA)
Requisition ID: 1503
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Secretary General
Directorate/Department : African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)
Division : Communication
Number of Direct Reports: 8
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for the overall supervision and management of the Division. Leads formulation of communications strategies on priority issues and carries out campaigns to create awareness about the activities of the departments, directorate and institution to support their substantive goals
- Manage and supervise employees within the division with regard to the department goals objectives including performance evaluation.
- Design strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
- Contribute to the development of the departmental communication plan and ensure implementation at division level
- Manage communication risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
- Design and plan institutional and Directorate policies programs to achieve strategies.
- Develop new and existing activities as components of the strategies and policies.
- Address problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
- Engage stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing communication strategies.
- Represent the organisation and explain its position at Press briefing.
- Mobilise funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensure creation of an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
- Develop and execute communications strategies – including writing communications plans and developing key messages
- Engage with State Parties, stakeholders and partners on various issues, including handling crisis communications situations
- Spearhead the establishment of modern data processing system for the AfCFTA Website and managing websites, internal and external
- Determine and execute Directorate strategy on the implementation of AfCFTA and overall Agenda 2063 and coordinate the implementation of continental and regional priority programmes and projects
- Mobilize resources and partners in support of the implementation of AfCFTA’ s priority programmes and projects
- Devise policies and priorities of the AfCFTA’ s actions to media external audiences and the public, ensuring that AfCFTA’ s messaging reflects its policies and priorities appropriately
- Ensure the efficient running of communication and media operations, providing guidance, advice and specialized training as needed, and responding to any emerging issues
- Lead knowledge management, information systems, the web system, projects and programmes to develop and/or update the information, communication and knowledge management strategy based on AfCFTA overall strategic plan.
- Advise and support AfCFTA on implementation of technology-based projects, media and public outreach activities in relation with their conferences, workshops, public events and activities and delivering media and online messages in a timely and effective manner
- Promotes communication and engagement that encourages and build strategic partnerships with the AU specifically: Private Sector, Academia, Development Partners, African Youth Associations, Diaspora & Civil Society
- Promotes correct use AU Brand and its identities on all communication developed for AU departments, institutions and in collaboration with partners.
- Overseeing the editorial content and production of all publications and public information materials, public statements and other communication material from AfCFTA
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the immediate Supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations and Advertising, Marketing or Business Administration with twelve (12) years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in the area of corporate communications of which Seven (7) years should be at senior management level and 5 (five) should involve supervisory roles.
- Professional qualification in marketing / or public relations will be an added advantage
- Regional / international experience managing communication for large national or regional or international organizations
- Experience in producing high quality advertising and content creation in-house or working with media and advertising agencies
- Experience in conceptualizing and implementing high impact digital marketing campaigns
- Computer literacy and use of modern means of communication tools is an added advantage.
- Corporate Marketing and Brand Strategy development and communication implementation
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to manage budgets and determine financial impact
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact.
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- End of Project Evaluation: Beiersdorf COVID-19 Response at CARE
- Interpreter (Spanish) at the African Union (AU) – 2 Openings
- Human Resources Assistant (West Africa) at Committed to Good Nigeria Limited
- Ethics and Assurance Director at Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Senior Software Engineer – Embedded & Desktop Linux Optimisation at Canonical Niger