The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Education Division
Requisition ID: 701
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director, Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Directorate/Department: Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 3
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Education Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Designs and plans policy programmes to achieve CESA 16-24 and related strategies.
- Advices the Education, Science, Technology, Innovation and Space Directorate on matters of education policy, curricula, and standards.
- Coordinates the work of African Union technical agencies in the area of education, and ensures internal coherence and adherence to continental policies.
- Spearheads the development of institutional linkages and policy mechanisms to promote regional collaboration and integration in the areas of education, research and training;
- Provides technical advice and reports to Member States on realization of their continental and global commitments in education.
- Develops and oversees the implementation of mechanisms to enhance education quality, relevance and responsiveness;
- Liaises with other relevant stakeholders to encourage harmonization and quality assurance of all programme activities in education, training and research;
- Provides policy support to strengthen alignment of regional education protocols;
- Promotes the development of high caliber human resources on the continent, including women, especially in science, technology, mathematics and engineering;
- Promotes knowledge networks and expert mobility in Africa and the diaspora;
- Manages relationships with development partners and mobilises financial and technical support to execute strategies and activities.
- Ensures the production and submission of periodic reports on the activities of the Division;
- Ensures production of working documents and draft decision in education for the STC-EST;
- Provides capacity building and mentorship for Education staff, especially youth;
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Education, Science, or other closely related fields, with twelve (12) years of postgraduate work experience of which a minimum of seven (7) years must have been served at a managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Proven experience in classroom teaching or lecturing will be an added advantage.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international educational reforms and strategies
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning, Budgeting and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
for more jobs @African Union (AU)