United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Field Office
Job ID: JR2317677
Location: Takum, Taraba
Employment Type: Full Time
Hardship Level: D
Target Start Date: 2023-04-26
- Monitor and report on the implementation of refugee conventional responsibilities and international obligations of the local authorities Vis a Vis the population of concern to UNHCR within the given geographical area; based on local situations/developments make appropriate recommendation to the UNHCR Representative/HoSO.
- Advocate and promote UNHCR standards concerning the treatment of asylum seekers, refugees and returnees as well as IDPs, where applicable; Advocate, promote and encourage the concerned authorities and local opinion makers to uphold established UNHCR standards that have become the international norms.
- Ensure that the basic needs of the concerned population are properly assessed with the participation of the beneficiaries themselves, the host governments and/or the competent Implementing partners and/or UNHCR itself.
- Subject to the needs, ensure that the planning, formulation and budgeting of identified assistance projects are done as per UNHCR programme cycle; upon approval of assistance project, ensure the timely implementation and rigorous monitoring of identified assistance activities
- Ensure through the subordinate staff that all deadlines for monitoring and reporting of UNHCR operational activities (i.e. include assistance as well as Administrative) are met on a regular basis.
- Manage all UNHCR resources, both human, financial/material, at an optimum level for the wellbeing of the concerned population and the UNHCR staff.
- Ensure that all security measures of UNHCR office (and residential, where ever applicable) compounds are always up to date; any security breaches and/or potential security threat should be reported immediately to competent UN security coordinator in the country.
- Ensure that staff welfare, both in terms of working and living conditions, are maintained at a satisfactory level within the constraints in the operational area; this requires remaining current in health and medical facilities locally available and evacuation options available in a moment of medical urgency.
- Guide, coach and advocate the subordinate staff to maintain highest standards of conduct and behaviour thorough one¿s own practice and deeds.
- Prepare and submit regular reports, both verbally and written, to the UNHCR Representative/HoSO. In the event of substantial telephone conversation that leads to specific action or non-action, it should be recorded and share with the other party.
- Represent UNHCR in inter-agency fora and with local authorities in the AOR.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s global protection, programme, finance, human resources and security policies and standards.
- Submit project proposals for assistance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR Representation or Sub-Office in coordination with local authorities and NGOs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P4 9 years relevant experience with an Undergraduate Degree; or 8 years relevant experience with a Graduate Degree; or 7 years relevant experience with a Doctorate Degree.
Field(s) of Education:
- Human Resources Management; Personnel Administration; Law; Political Science; International Relations; Economics; or other relevant field. (Field(s) of Education.
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- HCR Management Lrng Prg;
- HCR Managing Operatns Lrng Prg;
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential).
Relevant Job Experience:
- In-depth knowledge in all aspects of UNHCR¿s Field level operation. Applied experience of protection principles, operational arrangements/standards in relation to protection, assistance, UNHCR office management and staff administration. Should be conversant in the current priorities in the organisation and existing mechanisms within the organisation to implement those priorities.
- Working experience both in UNHCR HQ and/or a Regional Office and the Field.
- IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
- PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
- MG-Office Management
- HR-Administration of Staff Contracts and Benefits
- IT-Computer Literacy
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential).
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Health Finance Advisor – Nigeria IHP at Palladium Group
- Maintenance Worker at the U.S. Embassy
- MEL Data Analytics Officer at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
- Consultant – Technical Support to Review the Existing Emergency Transport System and Recommendations for FCT at Palladium Group
- CONSULTANCY TO DEVELOP A MODEL HUMAN RIGHTS DUE DILIGENCE TOOL at Transparency International Kenya