Head of Field Office P3 – Based in Kuajok
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you a Head of Field Officer interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organisation investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline to apply for this position is Sunday, 02 October 2022 (11:59 PM)
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) , a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: https://www.wfp.org/ and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of trainings, accreditation, coaching, mentorship and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to Terms and Conditions section)
These roles are found in the Field Offices. Job holders typically report to the Head of Area Office, or the Country/Deputy Country Director.
To lead and manage a WFP Field Office to ensure the effective and efficient management of human and financial resources and delivery of WFP programs and activities. A large emphasis is placed upon building and maintaining relationships with local governments, UN agencies and other partners in the area to reinforce WFP’s visibility.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, you will:
- Manage and lead WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure timely and effective deployment of food assistance programmes.
- Hold accountability for the deployment of CO initiatives, policies and strategies.
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure transparent and efficient people management and the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
- Ensure efficient use of financial resources for achievement of set objectives.
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
- Collaborate with governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully deployed at the local level and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes, including advice on the context-specific transfer modalities (food, cash or vouchers).
- Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems and conduct timely monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Hold accountability and/or prepare accurate and comprehensive analysis and reports on WFP operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to identify programme support requirements and inform operational planning and decisions.
- Forge and nurture external partnerships to improve assistance packages and support complementary strategies; identify potential areas for collaborative approaches and initiatives.
- Develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, donors, civil society, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Engage with beneficiaries, inspect storage places and points where WFP commodities are received, in order to ensure compliance with WFP policies and that progress is made in the achievement of project objectives.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least 5 years of field experience via field rotations, working in a sub-office, or through field postings.
- Fluency (level C) in both oral and written communication in English
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- Arabic would be beneficial as it is spoken locally
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Gained experience in analysing political situations, assessing risk accurately and supporting managers and leaders in decision-making that is sensitive to this
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.)
- Gained experience managing mid-size financial budgets, balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Participated in a moderately complex emergency operation/ development programme.
- Experience with security coordination and compound management within a mid-size area.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams independently in complex environments.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills including representation to national and state authorities.
- Broad experience in managing and implementing programmes relief, resilience, and development.
- Experience in working on climate adaptation and/or conflict-sensitive programming would be an advantage.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent shall be subject to the regular reassignment process. The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. This position is open to both internal and external candidates.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Kuajok, South Sudan to take up this assignment.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete, and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable)
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
Click on this link to apply: https://bit.ly/3dhcSBu
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager: Mogadishu, Somalia at Mercy Corps
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer at Save the Children
- Chief of Party: Local Governance and Reconciliation Activity (LGRA) at Mercy Corps
- Humanitarian Affairs Officer (Deputy Pooled Fund Manager), P3 at OCHA
- Africa Department Programme Manager at Conciliation Resources