The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Mogadishu, Somalia. Nairobi may also be considered if the appropriate work permit can be obtained or legal right to reside in Kenya is assured.
As Head of Finance you are responsible for the finance staff and all financial and administrative processes in Welthungerhilfe’s Somalia programmes and projects. You will implement financial management standards efficiently and promptly, thereby making a significant contribution towards the success of the programme. As part of the Senior Management Team you will provide strategic and leadership input to the programme.
During Welthungerhilfe’s streamlining of its operations in Somalia and Somaliland, you will play a hands-on, problem-solving role in ensuring that financial workflows do not compromise on timeliness, efficiency or accuracy – and will make a signficant contribution to delivery of the Country Strategy.
- Ensuring that all financial administrative processes in the Country Office are auditable and run efficiently through appropriate organisational measures and carrying out financial administrative controls
- Line management of and final responsibility for the finance team
- Supporting the Country Director perform his/her supervisory duties within the framework of programme administration
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the Country Strategy, within Senior Management team
- Instructing and supporting projects and project partner organisations (PPO) in matters relating to financial management so that they fulfil their contractual obligations towards Welthungerhilfe and co-financers
- Managing internal and external audits of projects and partner organizations
- Controlling and supervising liquidity planning of the projects and internal fund requests
- Evaluating financial and administrative requirements of new donors
- Coordinating the training of national and expatriate staff and PPO’s in the field of project administration in coordination with the Financial Advisory Unit at Head Office
- Approving of processes/giving authorisations according to the signature policy
- Providing qualified advice for the projects in administrative matters
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field e.g. finance and/or accounting
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the same or an equivalent position, preferably in the region
- Experience working with national partners and civil society in a coordinating role
- Experience line managing finance and administrative teams
- Experience with German (BMZ, GFFO) and European and private donor regulations would be an asset
- Excellent MS Office skills, especially Excel
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills, especially in financial management
- Willingness to travel regularly between Nairobi, Mogadishu and Hargeisa
- Proven negotiation skills and strong intercultural competence
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe’s project countries
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Familiarity with the Somali context a significant asset, and familiarity with crisis contexts desirable.
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by May 28, 2023, by using this link. Your contact person is Ina Stepka. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Grants Manager at Relief International
- Chargé(e) de programme at Interpeace
- Coordinateur (trice) Protection – Cameroun at INTERSOS
- Consultant: Support Labs and Food Businesses Improve Testing Regimes and Establish Food Allergen Management System at Land O’Lakes Venture37
- PROVISION OF PARTNER-LED PROTECTION FRONT-LINE RESPONSE CONSULTANCY at Danish Refugee Council