Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Head of Human Resources, BRAC International Holdings B.V. (Re-advertisement)
About BRAC International Holdings B.V. (BIHBV)
BRAC International Holdings B.V. (BIHBV) is a socially responsible for-profit organization, engaging people in sustainable economic and income-generating activities. The core focus of BIHBV is to provide microfinance services outside Bangladesh to people living in poverty who are unbanked and unserved by mainstream financial institutions. BRAC International Microfinance’s (BI MF) mission is to provide a range of financial services responsibly to people at the bottom of the pyramid, particularly focusing on women living in poverty in rural and hard to reach areas to create self-employment opportunities, build financial resilience, and harness women’s entrepreneurial spirit by empowering them economically.
About the Opportunity
The Head of HR, BRAC International Microfinance (HoHR) position is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management of BIHBV and its microfinance companies through executing microfinance HR, talent management, and performance management strategies. The HoHR provides tactical and operational support on all aspects of HR operations to achieve microfinance’s goals and objectives in the countries BI microfinance operates in Africa and Asia. The HoHR maintains an effective level of business literacy about BIHBV’s business strategy in line with its mission and the overall vision of BRAC. This position holder formulates partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service to management and employees that reflects the business objectives of the organization. The key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with BIHBV management board and the Chief Executive Officers (CEO) of different BI MF operating countries to determine business needs and collaborate with HR specialist teams in the BRAC International HR Department (BIHRD) to help meet these needs.
- Assist BIHBV management board in formulating talent management strategies including women leadership development strategies, coordinate with talent management specialists in BIHRD to implement talent reviews, talent development and succession planning.
- Work closely with Microfinance Management Teams (MMT) at country level, Country HR teams BIHRD and Head of Gender and Safeguarding to identify, develop and retain high potential women employees in microfinance programme.
- Ensure internal talent mobility in and amongst the microfinance companies in BRAC International and BRAC Bangladesh, microfinance manage the talent mobility process.
- Manage end to end senior level hires of BIHBV and microfinance companies, and partner with hiring agencies and country HR teams to ensure the right talent in the key roles.
- Establish performance driven culture in BIHBV and microfinance companies, partner with the performance management specialist in BIHRD and country HR teams to drive the performance management system.
- Provide support and input on BIHBV and company restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with country Microfinance management teams, HR teams and employees and collaborate effectively to create ground for acceptance and friendly adoption of BIHBV HR strategies.
- Assist international employees of BIHBV with expatriate assignments and related HR matters.
- Drive training need analysis for BIHBV and Microfinance companies, partner with specialists in BIHRD and country HR teams to ensure the necessary training programmes are in place, participate in evaluation and monitoring of training programmes to ensure success, follow up to ensure training objectives are met.
- Analyze HR data in partnership with Country Microfinance HR teams in order to develop and enhance solutions, processes, and programmes that address current problems and also to avoid future issues.
- Partner with the legal department of Microfinance companies as required in order to reduce legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance in day-to-day management of employees in BIHBV and microfinance companies.
- Establish a safeguarding culture across all levels of the programme by implementing the safeguarding policy. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Responsible to ensure team members are appropriately trained, supported and have access to resources regarding issues that are identified and actioned in accordance with the safeguarding policy and procedure.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Skills and Competencies Requirements:
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Adaptability to changes and ability to work with diverse workforce
- Ability to think out of box
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel globally and work in different time zones as needed
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the organization’s hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative practices related to those factors
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum eight years of experience in HR function including at least three years of experience in microfinance industry is required. Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including talent management, performance management, talent acquisition, compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee relations, diversity, and federal employment laws is highly preferred.
- Working experience in start-up microfinance companies will be an added advantage.
Employment Type: Contractual
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
How to apply
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates should email their CV/Resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
Internal candidates should send their updated CV/Resume and cover letter mentioning BRAC PIN to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 49/22 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short-listed candidates will be contacted. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: 22 May 2022
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are the part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer