Position: Head of Mission
Base: Kinshasa, DR Congo
Start: Summer 2023
MAGNA is a non-profit independent medical humanitarian organization. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. Our teams are made up of health professionals, logistic and administrative staff.
We recruit medical and non-medical personnel, collects private and institutional funds and raises awareness among the public about populations in danger. Using a small but highly committed group of staff and volunteers, we have achieved respectable results. We treat patients suffering from a wide array of illnesses and health needs (child health, malnutrition, sexual violence, women health, mental health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, cholera and other diseases).
Under the direct responsibility of HQ, he/she is responsible for the coordination team and the project coordinators. The head of mission is responsible for the MAGNA mission in a country and the MAGNA teams. He/She is the guarantor of compliance with MAGNA’s operational procedures and the application of the MAGNA Strategic Operational Plan. He coordinates the activities, supervises and animates the team and facilitates its participation in the dynamics of MAGNA.
Developing and maintaining a network of relations, including in particular donors, partners and the authorities, to react to the evolution of the situation in the mission country.
- Design and implementation of projects : be responsive to the needs of the populations, with an intervention strategy guided by the objectives of the organization and the evolution of the situation, ensure the implementation methods and means adapted to the realization of the projects.
- Conduct, evaluation, reorientation and closure of projects: updating the objectives, methods and means according to the indicators, the situation and the operational objectives of the organization.
- Animation and supervision of the team: organize the members of MAGNA into teams, ensure that the issues related to the mission are understood and encourage their participation in the dynamics of the association.
- Team safety: limit the risks taken by teams, through evolving safety rules based on individual responsibility and participation.
2 years minimum in the humanitarian field
1 year minimum in a management position in a humanitarian organization
valuable experience in public health programs
12 – 24 months minimum
mission language required
– Human Resource Management
– project management
– budget management
– experience in negotiation and problem solving
– knowledge and experience in international politics and context analysis, as well as complex security contexts
– able to represent the organisation to national and international counterparts
– awareness and understanding of the importance of advocacy
– able to work in a multicultural team
– take initiative
Your pay & benefits
Your contract and compensation depends on your country of residence and your experience.
Fixed-term contract with a salary from €3,166 to €3,483, depending on the employee’s role and relevant experience in the position. All MAGNA Staff Members with “International staff member contract” are responsible for determining whether they are required to file and pay income taxes in their home country, or current country of residence.
MAGNA pays for the return trip from your residence to the mission. With contracts over 12 months, you have the option of getting an extra trip to your place of residence.
Each month in the field, a monthly living allowance called a “meal allowance” is provided to cover the cost of food and personal expenses. The same amount and grants all international employees working in the same country allocations regardless of their location.
DAYS OFF AND HOLIDAYS
MAGNA has decided to provide and pay 25 working days of leave for each mission year. For contracts over 12 months, these days are higher, depending on the length of the contract.
ACCOMMODATION IN THE FIELD
For the duration of your assignment, you will be provided accommodation in a MAGNA-approved residence.
Accommodation can vary greatly from project to project depending on living conditions within the mission country or project area. In some areas, volunteer accommodation and the MAGNA project office will be in the same building.
One of our basic principles is that all field volunteers should live together. At the same time, we understand that the family and personal situation of a field volunteer can make living together difficult, especially in longer-term projects. For these reasons, if possible, MAGNA pays for individual accommodation.
MAGNA provides health care and medical evacuation insurance.
HOME CHILD ALLOWANCES
A monthly amount paid together with the salary for dependent children who remain in their country of residence. It is provided only for employees working with MAGNA for more than 12 months and in a coordination position.
How to apply
Interested applicants can send only their CV including education, qualifications, contact number and relevant documents: by email, to address
The email subject line MUST include in the title of email the following to be considered: “HOM, DRC”. E-mails without job title will not be reviewed.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that you provide appropriate contact information (e-mail, mobile, etc.) and 3 professional references.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Before submitting your online application, please ensure that your professional profile meets MAGNA’s field requirements.
Some criteria – including required availability – may differ between profiles.