VN HoO CZ10-2021 – Re-advertisement
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Head of Office
Duty Station : Prague, Czech Republic
Classification : National Officer, NoA, full time
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 3rd October 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane
and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to
governments and migrants.
Under overall management of the Regional Director in the Regional Office in
Brussels and in close cooperation with relevant Country Offices and Units at
Headquarters (HQ), the incumbent will be responsible for overseeing, managing,
developing and implementing all IOM activities in Czech Republic.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Act as IOM’s main interlocutor in Czech Republic, under the supervision and
guidance of the Regional Director and in close cooperation with relevant Country
Offices in the field and units at Headquarters (HQ). Maintain strong contacts with
local governmental authorities, including EU funding managing and responsible
authorities, and diplomatic missions, UN-agencies, international, regional and nongovernmental
organizations as well as voluntary agencies and public media.
- Inform the Regional Director, the Senior Regional Adviser for Europe and Central
Asia (SRAs) and other senior managers on IOM migration strategies, policies and
approaches in country.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Review and evaluate migration issues and emerging trends in the country and inform the RD, SRAs and Department Directors in HQ about related developments and discussions.
- Promote the full range of IOM services in the country and keep the Regional Office and HQ informed of relevant country specific concerns and programmatic developments.
- Manage and implement IOM activities in the Country, including the operational, administrative, budgetary, human resources and financial activities of the Mission, as well as the supervision of its staff.
- Prepare, review and adjust project documents and proposals for submission to potential donors, while ensuring consistency with national and sub-regional priorities and available resources. Assist the Regional Director with the negotiation of agreements with donors, in close coordination with relevant units in Headquarters.
- Implement on-going projects and operations and prepare progress reports as required. Provide guidance and information, analyse operational procedures and project effectiveness.
- Report on developments in the field of migration and on governmental policies affecting the activities of IOM and prepare proposals for appropriate action and for new IOM activities.
- Prepare regular and special reports covering IOM activities; prepare briefings and background information requested by HQ, the Government and other entities.
- Contribute to and provide assistance related to regional priorities.
- Verify invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Business Administration, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or,
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in humanitarian programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Experience in project management/development;
• Familiarity with financial and business administration; and,
• Knowledge of the country.
Fluency in English and Czech are required. Any other IOM official language is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies1 – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Please refer to the IOM Competency Framework for more information on the level of competencies required: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
1 As applicable.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV or Personal History Form, Cover Letter) to ROBrusselsRecruitment@iom.int by Sunday 5th September 2021 at the latest, quoting VN HoO CZ10-2021 in the subject.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 17th September until 3rd October 2021.