Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Operations in Somalia.
The overall objective of the Head of Operations is to ensure the accountability of DRC’s programme towards the humanitarian needs in Somlaia and the donors supporting the response. The post-holder ensures that DRC’s projects bring a significant contribution to meeting immediate humanitarian needs during the emergency and other early recovery programming, aiming to secure productive and just communities. The Head of Operations is a key senior position in the DRC country set up, responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, sound design of and overseeing assessments and ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing projects, and is incorporated into consistently high quality grant proposals and reports. The post holder is part of the senior management team (SMT) and supports the Country Director in representing the country operations to government, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
Title: Head of Operations
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Operations Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Effectively manage the Area Managers with an emphasis on excellence, promoting a culture of cooperation, learning, creativity and innovation.
- Ongoing development of team composition and structure to ensure that is fit for purpose, develop Job descriptions, follow up field staff related recruitment processes and orientation of staff. Proactively seek to increase the numbers of national staff members in the field team and nationalisation of posts.
- Development of overall staff competence through leadership, training and coaching of technical and management key field staff
- Participate in country level strategic planning and contribute to the sustainable management of program growth with a continual eye to new program development that addresses displacements and meets the needs of beneficiaries
- In collaboration with DRC Head of Programme (HoP) lead the Somalia annual programme portfolio analyses
- Foster synergies between program areas (integrated approach), support the strong integration of protection and gender throughout all humanitarian initiatives and ensure adherence to Sphere standards or any other international standards when relevant
- Facilitate assessment and rapid response in any humanitarian situation, with written report and recommendation to initiate and setup relevant emergency projects if a response is decided on
- Playing a key role in fundraising and donor contract management.
Operations Implementation & Coordination
- Provide oversight, guidance and leadership to all aspects of programme development and implementation in Somalia, including ensuring timely reporting, compliance and quality utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into programme implementation
- Ensure effective and transparent budget follow up, planning and use of financial resources in compliance with DRC and donor policies and priorities and ensure use od program managent tools and real time BFU.
- Develop a close and productive working relationship with Area Offices and the technical team in coordination with the HoP to ensure that all aspects of programs are implemented to maximum affect and compliant with DRC and donor regulations.
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- In collaboration with HoP, ensure that all projects contribute to measuring impact and are in line with DRC’s country strategic plan
- Adopt an evidence-based approach that see the dissemination of lessons learned and best practices within DRC country and Regional teams, to donors and to other stakeholders when relevant in order to ensure synergetic programming and cross-program collaboration in Somalia and in the whole EAGL region
Donor liaison, Partnerships and Representation
- As required represent DRC’s Somlaia programme to funders and potential donors
- Cultivate key relationships that enhance DRC’s visibility, credibility in Somalia with key government and other stakeholders
- Frequent travel for direct support to field sites, representation and identification of opportunities for organizational growth in the competence areas and coverage.
- Identify local NGOs/partners
To be successful in this role we expect you to possess the following:
- Master’s degree in International Development and/or Humanitarian Assistance, Project Management or any other related field
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in program management, leadership and design in countries of conflict or post-conflict
- Minimum 4 years of experience in managing complex emergency operations, including 2 years at country senior management level
- Proven experience in people management.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with National Governments, International and National NGO partners and a variety of working with and coordinating with a variety of donors and consortia including BHA, UNHCR, ECHO and OCHA.
- Preferably previous successful experience with DRC.
- Proven experience in managing integrated programs as well as capacity building.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Somali language skills
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 months
Designation of Duty Station: Mogadishu, with frequent travel to all locations in Somalia l Unacccompanied/Non-family Duty Station
Start date: 1 October 2022
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Please click here to apply
Closing date for applications: 10 September 2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Gender and Youth Community Facilitators at Mercy Corps
- Senior Program Officer, Regional Food Trade & Resilience at Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
- Program Manager, Rural Kenya Financial Inclusion Facility (RK FINFA) at Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
- Junior Consultant, SDG Localization and Local Governments at UN-Habitat
- Program Implementation & Data Collection Intern at Mercy Corps