Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF Operational Centre Brussels is looking for a Head of Operations in Sierra Leone (m/f/x)
In Sierra Leone, MSF is running the large and ambitious Kenema project, contributing to the improvement of maternal and child health in a country with one of the highest maternal mortality ratios in the world.
Admissions continue increasing in the 97-bed paediatric unit of the Hangha hospital which offers emergency care for critically ill children aged less than five years.
Important milestones for 2022 include the completion of the Hangha hospital construction (achieved in January) and the opening of the 67-bed maternity hospital (CEmONC) in May. The project will continue incorporating and contributing to innovative components such as play therapy.
Outreach activities remain an essential part of the project. In 2022, we started interventions in Dodo and Boajibu Chiefdoms. Outreach comprises a very ambitious Integrated Community Case Management (ICCM) strategy aimed at improving prevention and supporting community case management for main pathologies affecting children under 5 (malaria, diarrhea, simple pneumonia), as well as support to midwives undertaking sexual and reproductive health activities. Environment Health is another key part of our outreach strategy, with construction and rehabilitation of water points in communities and PHUs.
Professional development of health care workers in Kenema district will remain a top priority with the continuation of various competency-based educational programs provided by the MSF Academy for Healthcare.
The Head of Operations (HoO) combines the strategic and developmental responsibilities of a Head of Mission with the operational responsibilities of a Project Coordinator. The HoO is based in Kenema (project location) with frequent travels to Freetown, directly supervises the coordination team and the project management team of the Sierra Leone mission and is under management of the Coordinator of Operations based in Brussels.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
The Head of Operations
- Defines and develops, together with the Mission Coordination Team, the operational objectives of the project in conformance with MSF’s strategy in Sierra Leone.
- Defines, implements and supervises human, material, and organizational resources to guarantee safety and security, continuity, and quality of care both within the health structures and in the outreach Activities.
The Head of Operations
- Ensures, in close liaison with the Medical Coordinator, the integration of all the activities of the project in its local sanitary environment. This includes close networking with all relevant stakeholders in the district.
- Ensures compliance to MSF’s charter, ethical standards and policies in order to realize organizational objectives and improve the target population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
- Is the overall responsible for the safety and security of all international staff in Kenema.
- Is responsible for maintaining a strong strategic and analytic vision in order to achieve the objectives of the Kenema Project.
- Will be closely monitoring the opening phase of the maternity and neonatology services.
- University degree. Particularly in medicine, public health or paramedical or the field of international relations is a plus.
- At least 3 years of previous experience as Head of Mission with MSF or equivalent positions with other INGOs is essential, preferably in management of health/ medical projects
- Essential working experience in developing countries.
- People management
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Networking and Building Relationships
- Strategic Vision
- Proficiency in English (oral and written)
- Expected starting date: ASAP
- Contract type: 24-month fixed term field contract
- Location: based in Kenema, Sierra Leone
- Salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale. Transport, accommodation, vaccinations are taken in charge by MSF. Per diem + medical insurance
- Family position possible, with family based in Freetown
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Online applications to submitted by 12 June 2022 latest via the link. When clicking on this link, you will be directed to our online application tool.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
- Job City Kenema