The Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme for our presence in Bangui, Central African Republic.
Present since 2006, the DRC is one of the largest INGOs in the Central African Republic (hereafter: CAR), working in the following areas: Lim-Pendé, Ouham, Ouham-Fafa, Ouham-Pendé, and Bangui. The Programme strategy is focused on the following three sectors: protection and social cohesion; economic recovery; means emergency response to immediate needs related to the displacement of populations.
About the job
As Head of Programme, you deliver operationally and can strategically drive the DRC’s Programmes in the CAR. You report directly to the Country Director and are a member of the Strategic Management Team (SMT).
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Programme strategy and business development
- Ensure the development of sector Programme strategy in line with the CAR Programme strategy. Guide Programme Coordinators in the implementation of strategies through collaboration and proactive Programme development and implementation
- Develop, disseminate and implement the CAR Programme strategy within DRC team
- Supervise the drafting of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong cross-departmental coordination between Programme and support teams, including field teams, as well as close liaison and timely consultation with RO/HQ
- Draft project proposals and budgets for the various projects
- Contribute to the development of a fundraising strategy in line with the CAR Programme strategy
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships with organisations, donors and authorities, in line with the CAR Programme strategy and DRC partnership management policy
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations
Quality and accountability of the Programmes
- Responsible for developing policies, processes, and standards within respective areas
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of Programme quality standards, including application and harmonisation across field bases
- Ensure that DRC values and code of conduct are respected and upheld, including through setting a personal example
- Assess and improve DRC CAR’s accountability measures in accordance with DRC’s global Core Humanitarian Standard commitments
- In supervision of the MEAL team, ensure that DRC CAR implements high-quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) across all projects, including that learning is captured, capitalized and used in Programme design and implementation
- Support the grants team in timely submissions of high-quality donor reports
People Management and internal communication
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the Programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for expatriate and national staff on technical issues and programme cycle management, based on assessment of the critical Programme improvement needs of the CAR mission
- Work in close cooperation with Programme and Support staff in the CAR, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues at the Regional Office (RO), in other countries and at the DRC HQ
External relations and representation
- Together with the Country Director, ensure adequate bilateral representation of the DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regard to programme and participation in coordination meetings as relevant
- Represent the DRC in cluster meetings
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a technical background in Economic Recovery or Food Security & Livelihood, as well as the following:
- Relevant university degree (Master or Postgraduate), in international relations, Humanitarian Programs Management, political science, international development and/or similar field
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible experience at international level, particularly in Africa, in program management, leadership and design in countries of conflict or post-conflict
- Minimum 5 years of management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes of at least 5M USD across multiple sectors
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme development and proven programme development abilities
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and tradition
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to diffuse the strategic goals and challenges of the mission but also to be hands-on and work on an operational dimension when the situation requires it
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken French and English
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills are necessary
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate the DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to the DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 months (initially)
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Bangui, non-family duty station, non-accompanied
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered. Please apply for the vacancy via the link.
The DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. The DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
However, applicants must be aware that the DRC cannot employ, under an international position, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case, the Central African Republic).
Closing date for applications: 14 June 2022
Please note that applications will be reviewed continuously, and interviews will be planned as soon as a suitable candidate is identified – so early submission of applications is encouraged. The DRC retains a right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Job City Bangui