We are looking for an experienced, dynamic, well-organised and passionate individual to work closely with us, as a member of our Leadership Team, in achieving our current and future strategic and operational goals.
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It builds literacy skills and lifelong reading culture in homes, schools and communities across South Africa.
Nal’ibali delivers a variety of literacy programmes and the role of the Head of Programmes is to design, implement and manage this work at a National level, to ensure successful delivery, growth and impact.
This position is based at the Nal’ibali Head Office in Kenilworth, Cape Town.
Reporting to the Director, the Head of Programmes will focus on the day-to-day operations of the Programmes units by:
- Overall responsibility for programme development, implementation, reporting and programme risk management
- Exploring innovative solutions and thinking creatively to identify solutions that will maximise our impact on the ground
- Co-creating strategy with Director and Leadership Team; ensure it is rooted in best practice, research, experience and team input; and communicate it effectively both internally and externally.
- Leading the Programme teams and ensuring the integration, alignment and execution of strategies with organisational and donor priorities,
- Oversee the roll-out of the operational strategy, setting clear targets, and tracking actual performance and holding team members accountable for delivery
- Ensure programme coordination and coherence across programmes and projects teams
- Manage the expenditure and disbursement of resources allocated to programme department
- Ensure that all Programme activities operate within all policies and procedures of the organisation and comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Ensure quality of programme delivery is given priority in all programmes and projects
- Identify prospective funders and develop funding proposals and budgets
- Identify and evaluate risks associated with the Programme activities and take appropriate action to control the risks.
- Oversee the high quality writing of management and donors reports ensuring all reports are submitted in a timely
- Actively seeking (and landing) opportunities to support strategy delivery
- Support the Director to represent the organisation in key platforms (e.g. media, conferences, events).
- Assisting the Director with reporting to the Board.
- Area Program Coordinator- Kajiado at Feed the Children
- Research Assistants – Casual Database (Garissa) at Save the Children
- Global Foundations, Organizations and Institutions Specialist at Habitat for Humanity
- VOLUNTARY PROGRAMME COORDINATOR at ActionAid International
- WASH Strategist at Oxfam
- Ogun State Dairy Value Chain and Market Study Consultant at TechnoServe Nigeria
- Operations Support Assistant (Abuja) at Palladium Group
- Degree in Social Sciences, Business or Communication.
- Postgraduate degree in Development, Education, Languages, Behaviour change economics, Anthropology, Sociology or another related Social Sciences field will be advantageous
- At least 10 years minimum work experience of which 5-10 years’ in a Senior Management positions
- Prior experience with all of the following:
Ø Executing strategy in a rapidly growing environment
Ø Leading teams in diverse locations
Ø People management: managing delivery and performance, coaching and developing team members.
Ø Programme management, including design and implementation
Ø Fundraising and initiating partnerships
Ø Working in large non-profits, literacy, education, behaviour change campaigns, social development, media and/or publishing.
Ø Managing relationships with funders and partners
Ø Developing and managing large budgets
- Strategic, big-picture mindset and strong attention to detail, and ability to deploy each appropriately.
- Proven ability to manage, prioritise and deliver on multiple projects and workstreams in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong, succinct and persuasive communication skills: written, verbal, public speaking.
- Great interpersonal skills
- Strong multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
- Microsoft Office 365 Suite of products
- Competent in MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint & Excel
- Experience using Salesforce cloud-based platform, will be advantageous
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) in English and at least one additional African language
- Prepared to travel regularly
In line with EE targets, preference will be given to black (African) South African candidates.
A remuneration package commensurate with responsibilities is on offer for this exciting position which forms part of Nal’ibali’s leadership team.
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title on the subject line, (e.g. Thandi Nkosi, HoP).
Closing date: Wednesday, 13 July 2022
Please note that feedback will only be provided to shortlisted candidates.
For more information, please have a look at our website www.nalibali.org.
If you do not hear from us by 31 August 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Job City Cape Town
- Caseworker x 11 at Church World Service – CWS RSC Africa
- Chief Executive Officer at Action Appointments
- Partnership & Localisation Advisor at Trócaire
- Lake Tanganyika Program Coordinator at The Nature Conservancy
- Natural Climate Solutions Director- Africa Region at The Nature Conservancy
- Finance Associate at Gold Star Kenya
- MEAL-Officer at Oxfam