Job Title: Health and Nutrition Coordinator
Description of Position:
Provide technical support to Trocaire Health partners and Secretariat of Health in the implementation of Trocaire supported Health and Nutrition interventions in South Kordofan
Safeguarding Programme Participants
Trócaire is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives.
Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
All offers of employment will be subject to pre-employment checks including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (e.g. police/garda vetting, counter terrorism and anti-trafficking). Trócaire also participates in the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and all employees will be subject to this as part of contract of employment.
Reporting to the Programme Manager, this is a (fixed term contract, subject to donor funding) for a period of initially two years and is based South Kordofan, with frequent and lengthy travel to the project sites. This role does not have line management responsibilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To maintain responsibility for the implementation, technical quality, budget management and integration of the Primary Health Care programme including curative care (EPI, reproductive health, control of communicable disease), community health, and all components of Nutrition, including review of toolkits and guidance documents as required.
- Support partners to develop and manage work plans to ensure that health & nutrition activities are well-planned, with adequate timing and appropriate support and follow up, and that work plans and budgets are implemented on time.
- Manage and support partners’ Health & Nutrition team in South Kordofan and Blue Nile State through regular monitoring and supervision visits to project locations (security permitting).
- Oversee the proper management of medical supplies and drugs received by Trocaire and transferred to clinics, including accurate documentation, ensuring rational use of medications, and conducting analysis of use, gaps, and needs.
- To oversee and support the distribution of non-medical / nutrition programme supplies according to approved plans and facility needs.
- To ensure the timely collection, presentation, analysis and distribution of all data relating to the health department and submit monthly narrative reports and monthly HIS data spreadsheets.
- Lead/Coordinate compiling and sharing of data and information on needs and gaps in healthcare provision and nutrition services, for program development.
- Maintain up-to-date information on all aspects of health and nutrition in the project area and pass on newly acquired information/guidelines to the partners, Secretariat of Health and Trocaire’s Programme Manager.
- Discuss and agree on any changes in programming or project arrangements (including guidelines, protocols, forms and procedures) with the Programme Manager prior to implementation.
- Assist the Programme Manager when requested to compile monthly, quarterly, and annual data for donor report and final project report for submission or other presentations about the programme.
- Ensure that any expenditure is within the programme budget and is planned in advance and in line with the programme budget with support of the Programme Accountant.
- Prepare donor reports for the health & nutrition programme in collaboration with the MEAL, PSO, Finance and Programme Management Team as required for timely submission to donors.
- Support development of proposal narrative and budget documents for donor submission.
- Keep the Programme Manager apprised of all health care activities and any difficulties that may arise, including external influences in the operating environment
Partner Capacity Building:
- Conduct a joint capacity assessment for Health workers in Trocaire supported health facilities with partners and Secretariat of Health and come up with recommendations and action plan for capacity building
- Take lead in preparation and facilitation of training for health workers in identified areas gap areas in health and nutrition to support the Partners and SOH in designing an effective strategy for EPI programme aimed at reaching the hardest to reach population in the two areas.
- Manage and support Trocaire’s health & nutrition partners to implement, continuously building capacity and conduct performance appraisals at the appropriate time.
- Support partners and Secretariat of Health in proper management of vaccines, medical and non-medical supplies including quantification, ordering, stock management, and rational use of drugs and supplies.
- Support partners is using appropriate tools and methodologies for needs assessment, data collection and analysis.
- Support partners in preparing timely and high-quality donor reports for the health & nutrition programme.
- Conducted structured Joint monitoring and supervision visit with the Secretariat of Health and partners to Trocaire supported health clinics
- Support the Secretariat of Health in training health workers on standard treatment protocols in health and nutrition and adoption on the same in-service delivery.
Coordination & Representation:
- To liaise with the Secretariat of Health, Locality Health Department, UN agencies and other humanitarian actors to ensure appropriate provision of service and use of resources and to promote information sharing and cooperation.
- Take the lead in ensuring Trocaire and encouraging partners to participate in the Health coordination meetings at the regional levels, including ensuring that 4Ws are filled accurately and in a timely manner and that Trocaire and partners are represented at an appropriate level in all coordination and advocacy forums
- Coordinate with Secretariat of Health, Local Health Department and Health actors in doing assessments to ascertain if Trocaire and partners supported PHC programmes is based effective and based on priority needs;
- Provide necessary sector information to Trocaire’s Programme Manager for use in the health & nutrition sector meetings and in donor meetings.
- To monitor and evaluate all PHC, CH and nutrition activities with programme managers and adapt interventions as necessary in line with SoH guidelines and other health service providers.
- To ensure all SoH, Donor, and where necessary Trocaire and partner guidelines are adhered to and adapted as necessary.
- Maintain strong working relationships with all key stakeholders; liaising directly with donors as necessary and in coordination with the Programme Manager.
- Ensure that Trocaire’s and its partners’ PHC, community health and nutrition activities are well coordinated with other stakeholders including through existing coordination mechanisms and consultations with individual agencies
- Support Trocaire Health and nutrition partners in documenting best practices, success stories and case studies for use in donor reporting and fundraising purposes
- Assist with the organisation and hosting of Trocaire staff, consultants or donor field visits where relevant to the health & nutrition programme.
- All other duties as instructed by the Programme Manager or Head of Portfolio
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
- Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
- Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
- Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
- Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
- Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
- Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
- Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
Registered Nurse, Bsc in Nursing or a Clinical Officer with a master’s degree in Public Health
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing donor funded health and nutrition project/programme with NGOs or other international organizations, in developing countries, particularly in conflict zones.
- Substantial progressive, professional-level experience at the management level with some background in health and nutrition systems strengthening – health program implementation, particularly both at the community and facility level, being an added advantage.
- Experience in capacity development of health workers and partners staff in low-capacity environments and commitment to community-based approaches.
- Proven experience of writing donor proposals, strategies and reports with various donors and understanding of the log frame or results framework.
- Proven experience in emergency health assessments, health responses and maternal and child health programmes
- Ability to make links between health, nutrition and WASH interventions
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced, insecure environment with tight deadlines.
- Experience with health programmes in the region is desirable Knowledge of the Sudan context would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and write detailed technical project proposals meeting donor requirements, including budgets for the same.
- Excellent team-worker with track record of working in a multicultural team with local health workers/partners, ensuring their participation in planning, implementation and monitoring
- Ability to manage a complex workload through robust planning and setting priorities
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet programme objectives and deadlines
- Ability to coach and support partners to develop in their professional capacity
- Excellent written and spoken English, Arabic desirable.
- Knowledge and competence in effective use of ICT
- Ability to collate, manage and analyse epidemiological data, providing high quality narrative and data reports.
- Understanding of, and empathy with, the role of the Catholic Church in development
- A strong commitment to social justice, and an empathy with the ethos and work of Trócaire
- A commitment to civil society strengthening and support for working in partnership with local actors
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote field locations for an extended period of time
- Job City Sudan