PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
PATH has been operating in Senegal since 2001, with staff members located in offices throughout the country. PATH has a proven track record in mobilizing stakeholders and building the capacity of the Senegal Ministry of Health and Social Action (MSAS) in their efforts at all levels to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the country’s health system. In Senegal, PATH is a member of the Integrated District Health (IDH) project consortium, led by RTI International with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The five-year IDH project was launched in 2021 and is building sustainable local capacity to address health disparities in the regions of Diourbel, Kédougou, Kolda, Sédhiou, and Tambacounda.
As a member of the IDH consortium, PATH provides technical expertise in subnational health systems strengthening through supply chain improvement, private sector engagement, and digital health innovations. In addition, PATH anticipates a USAID/Senegal procurement designed to improve reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH), family planning, nutrition, malaria, AIDS, and potentially WASH activities in the most vulnerable urban and peri-urban districts of the Dakar region.
The Urban Health (UH) project will strengthen the quality of routine health services, strengthen linkages between facility- and community-based services, leverage private sector resources and services, improve the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MOH) to utilize and oversee private providers, and develop interventions and innovations to tackle root causes of health disparities in urban zones.
PATH seeks a Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Technical Advisor to provide technical leadership and oversee the implementation of health systems strengthening interventions in support of the IDH and UH projects’ overall goals. S/he will work closely with IDH and UH consortium partners and report solid line to the UH Chief of Party and dotted line to the USAID OWOD IDH Program Chief of Party.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide input on the technical design and implementation of quality HSS activities, including innovations to reach vulnerable and marginalized populations.
- Provide strong technical HSS leadership, support planning, capacity strengthening, and coordination of HSS activities with sub-partners.
- Provide technical assistance, support, and mentoring to District Health Officers (DHOs) and CDS in Dakar, including capacity building action plans and curriculum development to strengthen District capacity in leadership, management, and coordination (LMC) skills.
- Provide technical assistance to district health teams in IDH priority regions to translate central level policies into action to implement health sector priorities.
- Assist in developing annual work plans, budgets, and performance reports related to HSS project components.
- Monitor implementation of HSS activities to ensure that HSS project outcomes are accomplished and that targets are reached on time and within budget. Liaise closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team to ensure robust project monitoring and learnings are captured.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Government of Senegal officials, District Health leaders, and other key stakeholders, including other USAID implementing partners and the private sector.
- Participate in all relevant technical working groups.
- Maintain updated technical knowledge on HSS and related public health topics to be able to provide vision and input to strategy development.
- Provide technical advice and inputs in areas of expertise across other projects in the Senegal office as appropriate and requested.
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences, medicine, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in senior-level role working in the health sector with demonstrated experience implementing innovative programs that support health systems strengthening.
- Broad understanding of public health, health systems, and health policy and practice in Senegal.
- HSS technical competencies related to service integration, quality improvement, and/or private sector engagement preferred.
- Understanding of technical concepts of reproductive health/family planning, maternal and child health, nutrition, malaria, and WASH, highly desirable.
- Excellent understanding of the unique health and social challenges facing informal and/or low-income communities in urban and peri-urban settings.
- Proven skills implementing international donor assistance projects; knowledge of and experience working with USAID is preferred.
- Experience developing and maintaining strong and effective partnerships with diverse groups of stakeholders, including government agencies, donors, civil society, private sector, and community-based organizations to implement HSS programming.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration and commitment to achieving project objectives.
- Excellent professional written and oral communication skills in French and English.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite required.
Must have legal authorization to work in Senegal. Senegalese nationals are encouraged to apply.
Position is contingent upon successful award of project funding. All offers are conditional upon donor approval.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
*PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers. *
Please be advised:
- PATH will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process.
- All active jobs are advertised directly on our career’s page
- Official PATH emails will always arrive from an @path.org or @silkroad.com address.
Please report any suspicious communications to firstname.lastname@example.org**.**
- Job City Dakar