Established in 2016, the Global Programs for Research and Training, based in Nairobi, is a Non-Governmental Organization registered in Kenya to represent the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) East Africa projects. UCSF’s Global Strategic Information (GSI) has worked closely with CDC/PEPFAR for over 12 years with a focus on strategic information (SI) and development of associated Health Information Systems (HIS). Additionally, GSI has more than 10 years’ experience working on HIS in over 15 countries in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and eastern Europe, providing high-level strategic thinking, technical assistance (TA) in the development of all levels of HIS systems, data presentation and interpretation, and local capacity building. UCSF has always worked closely with multiple stakeholders on the ground including MOHs, institutions of higher education, and implementing partners (IP). Currently, UCSF’s GSI will lead a Health Information Systems Technical Assistance Consortium (HISTAC) with a focus on an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) OpenMRS HIV Reference Implementation (OHRI) and Central Data Strategies and Implementation (CDSI). The project will span over five countries: Uganda, Kenya, Mozambique, Haiti, and Nigeria. As such, GP Kenya is seeking a HIS Project Coordinator to lead and manage the project team on behalf of the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), through our local affiliate, Global Programs for Research and Training (GPRT) Kenya.
The HIS Project Coordinator will lead a multi-functional technical team comprised of business analysts, developers, data managers and spread over several countries. He / She will serve as liaison of this technical team with in-country stakeholders, other project implementing partners, project leadership, funders, sub-awardees and UCSF HQ to ensure project deliverables are well-defined and completed on time. The coordinator will use agile methods to monitor progress and quickly shift work as funders constantly shift priorities with ad hoc requests. The position requires a one-year commitment, with the potential for extension at the end of the period, subject to funding availability.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Together with the Informatics Program Manager and Director, develop project workplans, timelines scopes of work and provide detailed input on staffing needs.
- Oversee scrum calls and other monitoring activities to ensure tasks are appropriately defined, assigned, and completed for the several functional teams: business analysts, front-end developers, back-end developers, and data managers.
- Build and maintain positive relationships will all external collaborators such as: funders, in-country stakeholders, and implementing partners.
- Develop and refine efficient workstreams among internal teams and collaborators such as: sub-awardees, UCSF HQ, and consultants (such as UX/UI)
- Collaborate with country-level MOH (Uganda, Kenya, Mozambique, Haiti, Nigeria), implementing partners and technical experts to provide high-level oversight to identify and document future needs and translate them into functional requirements and specifications.
- Supervise business analyst workstreams including: the development of requirements through modeling proposed data flows, workflow diagrams, and functional decomposition diagrams; determination of operational objectives by studying clinical operations; gathering information; evaluating output requirements and formats.
- Oversee the development and testing team to track requirements during the development process and support testing software against business, functional, and technical requirements.
- Supervise preparation of technical reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and meeting reports.
- Monitor the development team to research, review and resolve software defects with the team of developers.
- Document decisions made and action items for internal and external meetings with MOH, partners and other stakeholders.
- Participate in technical discussions with the programmatic and clinical areas.
- Provide high-level guidance to assess whether the anticipated requirements add value to the end product and liaise with users if requirements are not implementable.
- Supervise the team to perform the impact analysis of newly requested features on existing products.
- Supervise the documentation of new features or products as well as end-user documentation to enable consistent use.
- Degree/Advanced Diploma in Human Computer Interaction, Health Informatics, Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Management Systems, Computer Engineering, Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or similar areas with over 10 years’ experience in the field.
- At least five years of proven and demonstrable experience in gathering requirements, writing technical and end-user documentation and software testing in the health domain.
- 2 years’ experience in comprehensive HIS project management across multi-functional teams required.
- English language proficiency in reading, writing and speaking required
- Experience in HIV program work and expertise in HIV domain required.
- Experience with international projects and staff required
- Detailed, hands-on experience with at least one health information system widely used by PEPFAR supported countries
- Ability to carry out work with great attention to detail
Qualified Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. All applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- Current CV with names and telephone numbers for three referees
Applications should be sent by email to HR.Kenya@ucglobalprograms.orgwith the email subject, HIS Project Coordinator by Friday, September 9, 2022
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Nairobi
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Project Officer – Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) at Catholic Relief Services – 2 Openings
- Signature Program Technical Lead – Southern Africa at Heifer International
- Mission Security Officer at European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia
- Senior Mission Security Officer/Head of Security and Duty of Care Department at European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia
- Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria Job Recruitment (4 Positions)