The Women and Children Health Empowerment Foundation (WACHEF) based in Jalingo, Taraba State, is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) registered to practice in Nigeria. The NGO works in partnership with public, private, and other non-government organizations to contribute to achieving equitable, sustainable, and quality healthcare delivery in Nigeria. It was registered with Taraba State Government in 2001 and with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) of Nigeria in August 2005. Our vision is to ensure universal access to quality health care and social services among the general population, especially women and children.
WACHEF is a member of World Hepatis Alliance (WHA), International Alliance of Patients` Organisation (IAPO) , Tuberculosis Network of Nigeria, African Liver Patients Association (ALPA), Association of OVC NGOs in Nigeria (AONN) among others. The organization has implemented several projects under World Bank, Global Fund, BMGF etc. WACHEF is expecting an award from Pro-Health International with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (“USAID”) towards implementing the Integrated Child Healthcare and Social Services Award (ICHSSA4) project in Taraba State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HIV Care and Support Officer
Location: Jalingo, Taraba
Employment Type: Full-time
Project: ICHSSA 4
Reports to: Program Manager
- The purpose of this position is to provide technical guidance to the organization in the implementation of technical program activities for community-based HIV Care and Support in the Program.
- Under the supervision/direction of the program Manager, s/he will collaborate closely with the team to roll out and implement an integrated and holistic community-based response to HIV/AIDS towards scaling up access to HIV prevention and care services for vulnerable children and their caregivers.
- The Prevention, Care & Support specialist will be responsible for working closely with the ICHSSA4 HIV prevention care & Support Programme Management specialist as well other ICHSSA 4 technical team to achieve the strategic objectives of the program
- Focusing primarily on HIV prevention, Care & Support but also supporting cross-cutting themes and integration efforts across the project with other areas of OVC programming including Household Economic Strengthening, gender, and Nutrition.
- S/he will provide technical support primarily in the area of Community based HIV Care & Support for project beneficiaries affected by HIV.
- S/he will be responsible for strengthening the linkages between the community-based care activities and health facilities providing HIV treatment towards ensuring a continuum of care.
- S/he will also support the strengthening of the capacity of implementing CSOs in the area of HIV prevention awareness creation, community mobilization for HIV counselling and testing, PMTCT and Early Infant Diagnosis (EID), improving referral and counter-referral systems between communities and facilities. In addition,
- s/he will support the implementation of evidence-based interventions aimed at addressing HIV risk behaviors, HIV transmission, and gender-based violence
- Link all identified HIV positive beneficiaries to HIV treatment care and support service
- Administer quarterly HIV care and support, Nutrition and PHDP checklist as applicable to ICHSSA 4 beneficiaries and refer appropriately.
- Development of “care plan” for vulnerable household.
- Completion of referral forms in line with ART and other services in accordance with identified/required services by the beneficiary
- Provide support to community case workers and other stakeholders.
- Refer and provide escort of ICHSSA4 beneficiaries to HIV service points for uptake of HIV related services
- Mobilize ICHSSA 4 beneficiaries for community outreaches for HTC and conduct follow up visits to HIV positive beneficiaries for continuous adherence support.
- Participate in monthly LGA level referral coordination meetings.
- Participate in the development of HIV service delivery directory.
- Facilitate at Community case workers HIV prevention Care and Support stepdown trainings.
- Document all HIV prevention care and support activities and report on monthly, quarterly and annually and at other times as may be required by the ICHSSA 4 project.
Supervision and Mentoring:
- Support Community Case Workers to fill referral forms appropriately
- Provide regular supportive supervision to the Community Case Workers Care and Support staff to ensure adherence to HIV treatment care and support for HIV positive beneficiaries.
Qualifications and Skills
- B.Sc / BA in a relevant health degree, minimum of 2 years professional experience with community-level HIV prevention, Care & Support programs
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with implementing partners, Community Based Organizations, Community case workers
- Experience in supporting Community based HIV Testing and Counselling programs
- Good knowledge of Government of Nigeria HIV Care and Treatment guidelines (Pediatric & Adult)
- Familiarity with OVC programming and principles.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills required.
- Good computer skills; skilled in MS Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Application Closing Date
30th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Applications not sent in the required format will not be considered
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and interview.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- WACHEF is an equal opportunity organization.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.